British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-07-08, 05:24 PM

Default Machine Gun Corps

Just had the camera out and thought I'd post this W SCULLY LTD MGC badge.
Old 20-07-08, 05:25 PM

Old 02-03-09, 10:43 PM
Former Member

Default Machine Gun Corps

Just added this MGC badge to my collection, I have a few versions of the standard Gilding Metal Badge, this one appears to be the same pattern shown in K&K (1154). Does any member have a definative list of how many patterns there were and possible dates of introduction. I'm sure that there were many patterns all being worn at the same time! Also I know they were formed in 1917, but when did the MGC cease to exists?

Thanks in advance - Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a33a_1.jpg (33.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-03-09, 11:46 PM

MGC proper, apart from manufacturing variations, has two variant badges. The larger, fatter guns (Vickers Maxims to be accurate), which were the basis of the Motor Machine Gun Service cap badge (and predate the MGC; when MMGS it had white metal letters MMG between the butts of the guns). Also the thinner Vickers with a shallower angle. There were Canadian variants, New Zealand variants, the Royal Naval Division variant.

The Corps was actually established by Royal Warrant in October 1915, started to form in earnest in early 1916. The Heavy Branch, MGC became the Tank Corps in July 1917. The Corps itself was disbanded in 1922.