British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-12, 05:08 PM

Default Army Divers

Hi all,

Can anyone answer a few questions on army diver stable belts.

I know that Royal Engineer divers wear a "diving helmet" buckle on a Royal Engineers stable belt but what do the divers of the Royal Logistics Corps wear? is it just the standard RLC stable belt with RLC buckle or do they to also wear a diving helmet buckle?

Also Before the days of the RLC, I know that seamen of 20 Maritime Regiment, Royal Corps of Transport could train as divers and believe that soldiers of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps did also? Does anyone know if the RCT and RAOC also wear any diver distinction on their corps stable belts or just the standard belt?

Lastly, I am familiar with the various grades of army diver badges but have in the past seen an army diving badge with DW beneath, which I assume stands for Deep Water? Does anyone know anything about this badge and the details of who would have worn it?

Regards Tony
Old 04-04-12, 09:24 PM

Hiya Tony

Unable to help on RCT/RLC stable belts, but would assume that the Corps Stable belts would have been worn, nothing would stop a qualified diver from wearing such a belt, if he was so qualified, so long as it is Corps related.

Diver (SW) (nicknamed "Shark Wrestler" so i was told)
This is a "Fleet" trade badge, and is worn for Divers on-board Army Vessels.

We in the RCT/RLC only used SW (Shallow Water) trades as our divers were only allowed to go to a depth of 30 feet to carryout "Light Underwater Tasks" ie road or small bridge crossings, also to remove obstructions from propellers on RCT/RLC Fleet Vessels, and also, so as to remove slight underwater obstructions both beneath and on our vessels.

A Divers Helmet trade badge was the Standard RE qualification and was worn upto 1962 (Standard Diver c 1982) it is now classified as (Army Advanced Diver 1982-present), these divers were trained by the RN and so wore upon completion of the course the RN badges, and would work at a depth of upto 180 feet, or to the limits of their equipment, whichever is the lesser. They would be tasked with the placing and firing of underwater explosives, and also carryout repairs to Docks.

Apparently (Diver DW) badges were "unofficialy worn" DW was an RE trade for all tasks of underwater obstructions in Ports etc.
(As you rightly mentioned Deep Water)

Info taken from British Army Proficiency Badges by D. Langley & D. Edwards

I hope other more qualified experts, can shed more light on the subject for you mate. Ken (The Fatboy)
Old 04-04-12, 11:48 PM

"I know that Royal Engineer divers wear a "diving helmet" buckle on a Royal Engineers stable belt but what do the divers of the Royal Logistics Corps wear? is it just the standard RLC stable belt with RLC buckle or do they to also wear a diving helmet buckle?"

During my time in the RE (24 years) I had never seen a qualified Diver wear any other badge on the staple belt buckle unless they were para or commando trained. Stable belts were NOT an issue item and had to be purchased from a unit PRI shop.
Trained divers wore the appropriate arm badge for the level of qualification reached. SW-shallow water diver, Diver helmet-Advanced diver and the silhouette of the helmet for Diving Supervisor.
I never saw the DW badge worn ever.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 05-04-12, 08:23 AM

Default Army Divers

Hi Ken and Jerry.

Thanks for the replies. The RE stable belt with diving helmet clasp is something that is now definately worn! I have personally seen it worn at both the Defence Diving School on Horsea Island and at the medical centre in HMS Collingwood where I was responsible for doing the prelims for the diver medical for both RN and RE divers.

Possibley the diving helmet clasp is a fairly new introduction? Certainly I have previously seen RE divers wearing the commando dagger clasp on their stable belts. Going back to the mid eighties, at the Royal Engineers Diving Establishment (REDE) located at Gunwharf in HMS Vernon the only clasps on belts I saw then was the standard RE badge.

If I remember correctly elyisum has posted a picture on here of his collection of diving badges with an RE divers belt. Certainly the diving helmet clasp is now worn and is available in RE PRI shops!

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1868JTML_1.jpg (70.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-04-12, 02:18 PM

I left the Corps in 1993, so the buckle must be new. When I left we still used the lead boots and big divers helmet and..............Just joking

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 05-04-12, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
I left the Corps in 1993, so the buckle must be new. When I left we still used the lead boots and big divers helmet and..............Just joking
You may be joking but when I was at HMS Vernon in 1987 the RE Divers at the REDE used to have to do training dives in a large circular tank wearing the old standard diving dress with lead boots and copper helmet!
Old 05-04-12, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
You may be joking but when I was at HMS Vernon in 1987 the RE Divers at the REDE used to have to do training dives in a large circular tank wearing the old standard diving dress with lead boots and copper helmet!
The diving tank and suit was also used on open days and military displays to show how the equipment has progressed.

JERRY
Old 31-10-13, 08:18 PM

Default Staple belt Buckles

The belt buckles are are a new thing, up until 1990 they never existed, other than with an RE badge, I think 59 Com were the first to put a dagger on theres, then the rest followed, Bomb Disposal badge for my old unit, worn by 101 and 33 Enger regt, I still have my early staple belt, much broader with two leather buckles on the side,
Regards
Keith