British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-13, 03:17 PM

Default HMS Cap Tally

I assume these would be WW2 vintage, nice in the original packaging with vocab number
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW-2-Royal...51000891762%26

Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 06-03-13, 04:43 PM

Default HMS Cap Tally

Hi Lee

As these tallies are made of rayon (as stated on the packet) they will not be WWII issue. Rayon wasn't used for tallies until the 1960s.

H.M.S. tallies have been used quite regularly until recent years. Crews serving in certain STUFT (Ships Taken Up From Trade) ships during the Falklands War of 1982 were also issued with H.M.S. tallies. For example, the trawlers Northella and Farnella were taken over to be used as deep sea minesweepers and became HMS Northella and HMS Farnella. However, their RN crews were issued with cap tallies which read 'H.M.S.' only.

In addition ratings sentenced to serve a period of detention in Royal Naval Detention Quarters were issued with H.M.S. tallies. The last of these, at Portsmouth, didn't close until the mid-1990s and is now the Royal Marines School of Music!

A lot of unused packets of H.M.S. tallies came onto the market with the run-down of naval establishments from the 1990s onwards.

Pete
Old 07-03-13, 12:17 PM

Totally agree have a box of one hundred !
Old 07-03-13, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
I assume these would be WW2 vintage, nice in the original packaging with vocab number
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW-2-Royal...51000891762%26

Lee
From the Ebay listing: "This is from the box in the picture which was audited in 1978/9 and re-packed and stamped/certified at The Royal William Yard Plymouth."

Rgds,

Thomas.