British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-14, 03:54 PM

Default Few buttons that I picked up

Hi all,

Among with other stuff (Irish-British), I also got these buttons. Two of them I am struggling to ID. Others; Australian WW2 Navy ("Melbourne,Stokes & Son") and "6th Training Regiment, Royal Engineers", I figured out myself .

Anything extraordinary here or more then just common?

1. "Great Northern * Ireland"

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 26-11-14, 03:55 PM

2. Australian Navy (KC). Is it WW2?

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 26-11-14, 03:56 PM

3. Very small button! Missing unfortunately a loop on the back

Old 26-11-14, 03:57 PM

4. No idea. Looks very hold. Fixed loop on the back. I can make out "London" on the back but nothing else. Is it RE as well?

Old 26-11-14, 03:59 PM

Hello

Your "Great Northern Ireland" button is a railways button, possibly in use from the late 19th century until the 1950s but probably still sought after by railway enthusiasts.

Regards
Roger
Old 26-11-14, 03:59 PM

There was as well one pristine "Buttons Limited * Birmingham" North Staffordshire Regiment large button that i forgot to scan in. I presume it is common enough.
Old 26-11-14, 04:02 PM

First button is on plate 61, button 14, in " Railway Buttons , Badges and Uniforms" by Froggatt.

Great Northern Railway of Ireland incorporated on 1st April 1876 being an amalgamation of the Northern Ireland and Ulster Railways. The button was produced in brass and in black horn and features the arms of Dublin ( top left )Enniskillen ( bottom left ) and Belfast with hand of the province of Ulster in the centre ( according to Froggatt)

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3867.jpg (52.3 KB, 5 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-11-14, 04:04 PM

Roger,

You beat me this time.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-11-14, 04:15 PM

Last one is Royal Artillery, worn from 1802 to (I think 1831 ? )
Old 26-11-14, 04:18 PM

Thank you very much guys! So, no wow factor there Pity that the old one is so worn. Actually it is not so bad on hand but very well polished!!!

Thanks again!

Timo
Old 26-11-14, 04:33 PM

Looks like the wording is "royal regt of artillery"