British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-15, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
However to me a good reference book would have to include reverse photos of the badges, patches, wings or whatever the items were.
The photos would have to be closeup, taken to show as close as possible to the correct colours and also so show the attachment/s, hallmarks, stitching, type of backings etc.
Example see photo.
I don't know if there are any books like that, there certainly aren't in what I collect. One then has to ask if in today's climate of so much copying whether anyone would do that.
I certainly wouldn't show publicly the reverse of the para wings in my collection or the various stampings on the reverse of Selous Scouts officers badges.

Attachment 124934
Unfortunately you had hit the dilemma nail on the head. If you go into too much detail with reference works, it'll just open the floodgates for fakers and the whole collecting game would be ruined. The realistic method would be to get and accurate book with quality pictures and then share on a forum like this. To me, collecting is to try and get the best collection I can and I'm not interested in 'one-upmanship'. I try to help other serious collectors if I can.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 18-09-15, 03:41 PM

No mention so far of Radford's book on Rhodesian insignia?

Wayne
Old 19-09-15, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guBulawayo View Post
No mention so far of Radford's book on Rhodesian insignia?

Wayne
There are some mistakes in Radford's book as well.
Old 19-09-15, 05:26 AM

Perhaps something less ambitious, but still helpful, would be to compile a list of corrections to Owen's. It has several errors in it but in all fairness to the author any volume of that maginitude was bound to have some errors. More so in the days before relatively easy access to archives and the internet to put you in touch with experts.

Maybe something like a simple spreadsheet/table along the lines of...

Owens Number / Owen's description / Correct description / Source
================================================== =======
810 / Citizen Force Infantry.... / Commando Force, cap badge, dates worn if known, / Source could be e.g. SADF Orders, QM Reference Book, SADF Heraldry Card, Archival Reference, Regimental History, "Colonel Bogey, OC Example Commando 1961-1965, personal recollection" or whatever the case may be... so that if more information comes to light things can be verified.

Last edited by milhistry; 19-09-15 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 21-11-15, 11:57 AM

I don't think that is quite true Frank ! - I contributed a number of photos of rare badges to his book and I know that many were supplied by Sam Foote and a number of other collectors. You will see some of them (my name Alf Boyley) in the acknowledgment section of the book
Old 21-11-15, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony03 View Post
I don't think that is quite true Frank ! - I contributed a number of photos of rare badges to his book and I know that many were supplied by Sam Foote and a number of other collectors. You will see some of them (my name Alf Boyley) in the acknowledgment section of the book
Hi Alf
Interesting to note that some of your (and other collectors) badges are in Colin's book. I was under the impression, and I think that his book is commonly thought to only have badges from his collection. Good to know there were other contributors.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 21-11-15, 02:47 PM

Hi, Colin told me that he owned every badge that was in his book when he published it. Regards Andrew
Old 21-11-15, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi, Colin told me that he owned every badge that was in his book when he published it. Regards Andrew
I will give him a call tomorrow Andrew and see what he as to say about it !
Old 21-11-15, 06:04 PM

Upon reading his preface, you can certainly be forgiven for thinking that would have been the case, but, as the collection no longer exists, I don't think it matters whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Old 21-11-15, 07:36 PM

Perhaps you are right Frank - He is quite old now and somethings are better left unsaid-Cheers-Alf
Old 22-11-15, 02:32 PM

Well, I don't think it matters, he has not done any harm, at the end of the day, he did once have a good collection, moreover, in publishing the book, he certainly shared it globally too, the actually photographs were better than many, in other works and much of the content remains, both, correct and very helpful.
Old 23-11-15, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Well, I don't think it matters, he has not done any harm, at the end of the day, he did once have a good collection, moreover, in publishing the book, he certainly shared it globally too, the actually photographs were better than many, in other works and much of the content remains, both, correct and very helpful.
I agree.
Old 23-11-15, 06:03 PM

Gentlemen,
It's very easy to just say "Oh yes, it's all mine" but, quite frankly, very clearly, most of it will have been, I really don't care, for a young lad who was keen on acquiring badges and plates, his book was a joy, I'm very happy with what I chose to do and I have no regrets whatsoever.
It was great to be able to see such a wide range of badges from across both the 19th and 20th Centuries, some, very rare indeed, others very common and even today, it remains a very distinct pleasure to own items from his collection.
Old 23-11-15, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Gentlemen,
It's very easy to just say "Oh yes, it's all mine" but, quite frankly, very clearly, most of it will have been, I really don't care, for a young lad who was keen on acquiring badges and plates, his book was a joy, I'm very happy with what I chose to do and I have no regrets whatsoever.
It was great to be able to see such a wide range of badges from across both the 19th and 20th Centuries, some, very rare indeed, others very common and even today, it remains a very distinct pleasure to own items from his collection.
Oncw again I do agree.
Old 23-11-15, 06:59 PM

On a Qwerty keyboard the letters C and W are certainly far too close together!