British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-13, 09:26 AM

Default Delville wood Anniversary

As it was just the anniversary of Delville wood, during the Somme offensive in July and August 1916, when the South African Brigade suffered 2300 casualties out of 3153 officers and men. I thought I would share a couple of photos with you all

Mad Jocks in WWI.jpg

Here South Africans from the 4th Regiment 'South African Scottish' perform a traditional 'African Tribal War Dance' with drawn bayonets and dancing in their distinctive 'Murray of Atholl' tartan kilts.
Heaven help the Germans!

Nancy.jpg

Nancy, the famous springbok mascot of the 4th South African Infantry Regiment with her keeper, the regimental bugler, Private A E Petersen.

Does anyone else have any photos etc they'd like to share?

Iain
Old 17-07-13, 03:47 PM

Thanks for posting those pictures Iain. They reminded me of a very old man I knew in Bulawayo, years ago. He was a bit of an old crank but treated with respect by all, who would tell me in a hushed voice "He was at Delville Wood". After I read the account of it I too treated him with the greatest of respect.
JohnG
Old 17-07-13, 04:58 PM

Hi John,

when you do read about the heroic defence of Delville wood it does make you feel quite humble.

The South Africans held the wood from the 14th to the 20th against overwhelming odds until eventually being relieved.

Lt Colonel Thackeray marched out of the wood to the pipes of the Black Watch leading two officers (both of whom were wounded) and 140 other ranks, they being the entire remnant of the South African Brigade.

Iain
Old 18-07-13, 09:45 AM

Hello Iain,
Have you ever been there, I am really amazed that it was possible for so many people to loose their lifes in such a small area.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi John,

when you do read about the heroic defence of Delville wood it does make you feel quite humble.

The South Africans held the wood from the 14th to the 20th against overwhelming odds until eventually being relieved.

Lt Colonel Thackeray marched out of the wood to the pipes of the Black Watch leading two officers (both of whom were wounded) and 140 other ranks, they being the entire remnant of the South African Brigade.

Iain
Old 18-07-13, 10:30 AM

Hi Frank,

no, never been, I've seen maps but in my mind I pictured an average wood of maybe 1 to 2 acres.
Do I take you have been?

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Iain,
Have you ever been there, I am really amazed that it was possible for so many people to loose their lifes in such a small area.
Regards Frank
Old 18-07-13, 01:06 PM

Hello Iain,
Yes, I have, quite a few years ago now though, so is this an area that you collect and if so do you have a favourite regt?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Hi Frank,

no, never been, I've seen maps but in my mind I pictured an average wood of maybe 1 to 2 acres.
Do I take you have been?

regards, Iain
Old 18-07-13, 01:59 PM

Hi Frank,

the trench warfare of WWI France is not my favourite subject. I saw little point in the unimaginative method of warfare that called for tens of thousands of young soldiers at a time to charge through mud onto barbed wire whilst being cut to ribbons by machine guns. Then, the 100 yards of ground won, would be lost next day
Delville wood was before that all set in and to me almost Thermopylaen in its heroics. Every man deservant of a VC
Cambrai was another great battle out of the mould.
I dont specifically collect from the period but if anything comes my way I do add it to my collection.
Here is one badge I do have actually made in Richmond. According to Owen's and Dudley's book, it's the 4th SAI.

Bok 003.jpg Bok 006.jpg

There were also some very nice collars and titles but i have few of them.

regards, Iain
Old 18-07-13, 02:33 PM

These medals were earned by two brothers from Natal. The older brother was ILH in the ABW and then 4 SAI. He was wounded at Delville Wood and after recovering took a commission and went on to serve elsewhere in France and died of second lot of wounds! Buried at Nine Elms Cemetery, Poperinge in Belgium.

His brother was BMR during the Natal Rebellion and was the only man in the regiment to be wounded. He served in GSWA with the Natal Light Horse and then took a commission in the 3rd Royal Sussex Regt and was also KIA buried at Thistle Dump Cemetery Longueval.

Regards

Dudley

Last edited by Madziro; 18-07-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 18-07-13, 04:03 PM

Hello Iain,
I think 1914 was tolerable, but, I feel the rot really set in at Loos the following year, the defence of Delville by the 1st SA Infantry Brigade was really exceptional when you do the number crunching, I agree with you on Cambrai too, okay then, tell me about the rare little (actually quite large!)badge you show here.
Grigg was a medalist in Richmond, it cannot be a coincidence that both the SA Infantry Brigade Depot and the SA Hospital were also in Richmond, but why do you feel this badge was worn by the 4th Regt in particular and not just the whole brigade?
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Hi Frank,

the trench warfare of WWI France is not my favourite subject. I saw little point in the unimaginative method of warfare that called for tens of thousands of young soldiers at a time to charge through mud onto barbed wire whilst being cut to ribbons by machine guns. Then, the 100 yards of ground won, would be lost next day
Delville wood was before that all set in and to me almost Thermopylaen in its heroics. Every man deservant of a VC
Cambrai was another great battle out of the mould.
I dont specifically collect from the period but if anything comes my way I do add it to my collection.
Here is one badge I do have actually made in Richmond. According to Owen's and Dudley's book, it's the 4th SAI.

Attachment 86530 Attachment 86531

There were also some very nice collars and titles but i have few of them.

regards, Iain

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 19-07-13 at 09:20 AM.
Old 18-07-13, 04:18 PM

Hello Dudley,
Any medals to South African recipients who were in the SA Brigade at Delville are nice, they are made all the nicer with medals from the Anglo Boer War, German South West Africa and the 1906 Rebellion etc, so many just got a BWM and Victory as they were just young lads.
Was the Imperial Light Horse QSA issued like that?
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
These medals were earned by two brothers from Natal. The older brother was ILH in the ABW and then 4 SAI. He was wounded at Delville Wood and after recovering took a commission and went on to serve elsewhere in France and died of second lot of wounds! Buried at Nine Elms Cemetery, Poperinge in Belgium.

His brother was BMR during the Natal Rebellion and was the only man in the regiment to be wounded. He served in GSWA with the Natal Light Horse and then took a commission in the 3rd Royal Sussex Regt and was also KIA buried at Thistle Dump Cemetery Longueval.

Regards

Dudley
Old 18-07-13, 04:56 PM

Hi Frank,

as I said, "According to Owen's and Dudley's book, it's the 4th SAI." I am just a 'umble badge collector!

kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Hello Iain,
I think 1914 was tolerable, but, I feel the rot really set in at Loos the following year, the defence of Delville by the 1st SA Infantry Brigade was really exceptional when you do the number cruching, I agree with you on Cambrai too, okay then, tell me about the rare little (actually quite large!)badge you show here.
Grigg was a medalist in Richmond, it cannot be a coincidence that both the SA Infantry Brigade Depot and the SA Hospital were also in Richmond, but why do you feel this badge was worn by the 4th Regt in particular and not just the whole brigade?
Kind regards Frank
Old 18-07-13, 05:03 PM

Okay, so would it be fair to say that you quite like the 4th Regt?

Quote:
Hi Frank,

as I said, "According to Owen's and Dudley's book, it's the 4th SAI." I am just a 'umble badge collector!

kind regards, Iain
Old 18-07-13, 05:33 PM

Hi Frank,

I think everyone has a liking for the Scottish Regiments; I do also have Scottish blood on my Mother's side.
I can't argue with Colin Owen & Dudley and it's very difficult to research who wore what badge. Only the collars and some titles were distinctive as far as I'm aware. It is the 48mm badge BTW.

kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Okay, so would it be fair to say that you quite like the 4th Regt?
Old 18-07-13, 06:01 PM

Here you are Iain!
Quote:
Hi Frank,

I think everyone has a liking for the Scottish Regiments; I do also have Scottish blood on my Mother's side.
I can't argue with Colin Owen & Dudley and it's very difficult to research who wore what badge. Only the collars and some titles were distinctive as far as I'm aware. It is the 48mm badge BTW.

kind regards, Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020070.jpg (74.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 18-07-13, 06:27 PM

Very nice Frank. Did you get the 4 with the rest? I would like to know what the size is, as I have a few numbers, but have never been sure if the fitted with these units or not. Regards Andrew