British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-13, 01:53 PM

Default South African cemetery enquiry

Hello to members in South Africa!

An enquiry from a mate in COLD CANADA.... Ihave never had to request assistance from a South African member so this a first for me.......

I am trying to find out some information on a South African war (1899-1900) cemetery in which British soldiers were buried during that conflict.

The cemetery is located near Deelfontein or De Aar - are they close together?

There was major Britsh hospital located a Deelfontein during that timeframe
& patients who died (many of them of enteric fever) in the hospital were buried in the adjoining cemetery.

So my questions concerning this are---

Does the cemetery still exist?

If so, are the grave markers still intact?

& would there still be a marker for -- 2697, Band Sergeant W.F. HALL, YORKSHIRE REG'T?

I have att'd a couple shots of the cemetery as it looked back in 1900 with a shot of one of the markers - they appear to be constructed of iron so may still exist.

So to sum up ... I am requesting the assistance of a SA member(s) who might live near Deelfontein to have a look for the cemetery & take a few photos of it & Hall's grave if it is still in existance.

Thanks very much!

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deelfontein cemetery.jpg (15.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Deelfontein cemetery2.jpg (13.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Deelfontein cemetery grave mkr.jpg (31.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by RCN; 06-03-13 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 04:41 PM

Hi, Deelfontein Cemetry is close to De Aar. I regret that this is in the middle of nowhere, so I am not sure if anybody here will live close to there. I did find a recent photo, so it looks like all is still well there. If somebody does go there, they should be able to get your picture.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...IMode=cemetery Regards Andrew
Old 06-03-13, 06:59 PM

Bryan

"they appear to be constructed of iron so may still exist." Scrap iron is at a premium out here in Africa, anything made of iron/steel if not tied down is stolen and sold off as scrap.......a sad situation, so these grave markers are not likely to last indefinately.

I have a mate who records graves, especially military one's and will see if he has your man. (An update ...spoke to my mate he will come back to me tomorrow, hopefully with some good news. If there is a pic I will post it or send it to you via private email.)

I took these the last time I was in the Northern Cape for the RCR they were most greatful: http://theroyalcanadianregiment.ca/g...ar_graves.html

Fortunately Paardeberg Battlefield is a little off the beaten track and there are no settlements nearby.

Brian

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 06-03-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 07:37 PM

I am going to Namibia and will be teravelling back via De Aar to Pinetown around the 1st May. I can not see the place name on the map, if someone could give me an idea where the place is, i might be able to visit and take photo's if it is not to out of the way. Brian do you know its exact location?
Cheers
Bill
Old 06-03-13, 08:12 PM

THANKS very much for the positive responses mates, really appreciate that!

I'll respond to each individually,

RCN Bryan
Old 06-03-13, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi, Deelfontein Cemetry is close to De Aar. I regret that this is in the middle of nowhere, so I am not sure if anybody here will live close to there. I did find a recent photo, so it looks like all is still well there. If somebody does go there, they should be able to get your picture.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...IMode=cemetery Regards Andrew
Thanks very much for posting the link to Deelfontein cemetery Andrew.
I can see it appears to be in the middle of nowhere - we have places like that in Canada as well!
If those photos are recent it appears as if the cemetery still exists & some of the grave markers are still intact.

RCN Bryan
Old 06-03-13, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Bryan

"they appear to be constructed of iron so may still exist." Scrap iron is at a premium out here in Africa, anything made of iron/steel if not tied down is stolen and sold off as scrap.......a sad situation, so these grave markers are not likely to last indefinately.

I have a mate who records graves, especially military one's and will see if he has your man. (An update ...spoke to my mate he will come back to me tomorrow, hopefully with some good news. If there is a pic I will post it or send it to you via private email.)

I took these the last time I was in the Northern Cape for the RCR they were most greatful: http://theroyalcanadianregiment.ca/g...ar_graves.html

Fortunately Paardeberg Battlefield is a little off the beaten track and there are no settlements nearby.

Brian
Thanks also Brian for your informative reply. The photos you have taken of the RCR South Africa graves are impressive, I hope your mate is able to come thru & we get lucky with Band Sergt Hall as well, &
if he is able to obtain some photos let me know & I will PM my email to you,

I would love to visit some of the old SA War cemeteries if we ever get to visit SA in future.

RCN Bryan
Old 06-03-13, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Bryan

Brian
In the colour shot of the cemetery (shown in the link posted above by Traist) it appears as if many of the iron headstones are still intact but I dont know how old that photo is - so hopefully they have not all been stolen for scrap,

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deelfontein cemetery modern.jpg (49.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-03-13, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7923BSAP View Post
I am going to Namibia and will be teravelling back via De Aar to Pinetown around the 1st May. I can not see the place name on the map, if someone could give me an idea where the place is, i might be able to visit and take photo's if it is not to out of the way. Brian do you know its exact location?
Cheers
Bill
That would be super Bill -- if you are able to get to the Deelfontein cemetery & get some photos. However as far as getting there I dont have a clue!
Hopefully Brian or another SA member can advise you how to get there...

& again many thanks!
RCN Bryan
Old 07-03-13, 06:30 AM

Byran
We will see what we can do; am presently looking at any records of who is buried there, there must be a plan somewhere; I am open to suggestions. Will contact the war graves commission to see if they have anything
All the best
Bill
Old 07-03-13, 12:46 PM

Thanks very much Bill - I really appreciate that!

Band Serg't Hall died on 13 April, 1900.

RCN Bryan
Old 07-03-13, 02:30 PM

Default Band Serg't W.F. Hall

Hello mates in South Africa!

I thought I would post Band Serg't Hall's photo so you might get an idea of who's grave it is you are searching for.....

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hall portrait.jpg (48.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-03-13, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Thanks very much for posting the link to Deelfontein cemetery Andrew.
I can see it appears to be in the middle of nowhere - we have places like that in Canada as well!
If those photos are recent it appears as if the cemetery still exists & some of the grave markers are still intact.

RCN Bryan
Hi Bryan, it is a pleasure. The picture was taken in 2011, so a good chance of it still being the same. I hope Bill gets it sorted out for you. Regards Andrew
Old 07-03-13, 07:40 PM

Bryan

My mate who has all these pictures or knows someone who does, has let me down, sorry! He promised to email me today but so far nothing. I have left a voicemail on his mobile, lets see what happens!

Brian
Old 08-03-13, 01:59 PM

Thanks for trying Brian - Hopefully he will come thru for you soon,

RCN Bryan