British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-09-15, 11:03 AM

Default Should some items ever be put on the open market ?

My first thoughts were how did this come to be on the market and should such items ever be sold?

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antiqu...wwii/as288a658

I then thought that perhaps there is not much difference to the sale of this and the sale of a casualties medals and death plaque which we generally don't think twice about.

I would be interested to see what other members thoughts are.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-09-15, 11:08 AM

Peter,

Many similar stone and marble plaques exist in old buildings that are demolished and I would much rather see the plaques saved before demolition and sold on to be preserved for a long time in the future.

What happened to all the "Street" plaques erected after WW1 around Manchester and other such cities to honour the men killed who lived in those streets - gone and destroyed with the terraced house that they were erected on in the main.

If it was a Manchester Regiment one I would buy it and donate it to the Museum. I have done this with other significant items.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 14-09-15, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
My first thoughts were how did this come to be on the market and should such items ever be sold?

I then thought that perhaps there is not much difference to the sale of this and the sale of a casualties medals and death plaque which we generally don't think twice about.

P.B.
Personally I would rather see it bought by someone who will value it than remain with someone who obviously only sees a monetary value.
Old 14-09-15, 01:02 PM

Hello Peter

I am sure I remember an 'Antiques Roadshow' episode where someone had a brass regimental memorial plaque taken from an old, demolished church. The 'expert' more or less refused to value it, saying it was worthless as putting any value on it would potentially encourage thefts from other churches and similar establishments.

That said, I strongly agree with Simon, I would much rather see such items safe in a collector's hands than scrapped and lost forever.

Regards
Roger
Old 14-09-15, 04:28 PM

I just emailed the Royal West Kent Museum at the Maidstone Museum with the link. Hopefully they might be interested in acquiring it.

David
Old 15-09-15, 12:30 AM

I was at an Auction house in Adelaide a couple of years ago and they were selling the contents of the local Salvation Army storage building. As each small branch building had closed over the years the furnishings, prints , plaques and décor was sent to one central location. When this building was sold the contents were auctioned.
I purchased this item. The WW1 memorial from a building remembering the war service of its members.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d 001.jpg (42.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg d 002.jpg (35.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 15-09-15, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast Watcher View Post
I was at an Auction house in Adelaide a couple of years ago and they were selling the contents of the local Salvation Army storage building. As each small branch building had closed over the years the furnishings, prints , plaques and décor was sent to one central location. When this building was sold the contents were auctioned.
I purchased this item. The WW1 memorial from a building remembering the war service of its members.
Ed

Well done, Ed! It is wonderful that you were able to save it.

So many of these plaques seem to have just disappeared from the buildings where they were installed, sometimes, I guess, for just the scrap metal value. The implication it seems, is that we will remember them but only for a short while.

I could not help but notice the spelling of "HONOR" which must be unusual for an Australian plaque

Donny B.
Old 15-09-15, 07:16 AM

I'd certainly rather it be on the market than be buried or otherwise destroyed in some way, if it were mine, I think that I'd try find it a good home, perhaps in a local museum in Kent or in the particular soldiers home town, perhaps a church.
It is similar to a Great War plaque, but, commissioned and paid for in a different way, one must assume, by this soldiers friends within his battalion, I like it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post

P.B.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 15-09-15 at 07:25 AM.
Old 15-09-15, 07:18 AM

Simon,
What is going on at Ashton Town Hall, I hope the old bit is not going to be lost to us!
I take it the museum will reopen in due course?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Peter,

Many similar stone and marble plaques exist in old buildings that are demolished and I would much rather see the plaques saved before demolition and sold on to be preserved for a long time in the future.

What happened to all the "Street" plaques erected after WW1 around Manchester and other such cities to honour the men killed who lived in those streets - gone and destroyed with the terraced house that they were erected on in the main.

If it was a Manchester Regiment one I would buy it and donate it to the Museum. I have done this with other significant items.

regards
Old 15-09-15, 10:04 AM

Frank,

The Town Hall is closed to the public until mid 2016.

This is because the Tameside Council Offices which were built in the 1970's and which are physically attached to the Town Hall are being demolished.

It is therefore unsafe to open the Town Hall at this time.

The museum will re-open when its safe to do so.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-09-15, 10:07 AM

Glad tidings indeed, Simon!
Old 15-09-15, 01:46 PM

I'm a bit of a latecomer to this conversation, but here goes.

I got into collecting cap badges as a result of my helping out, in a very small way, with the Barnsley War Memorials Project. Barnsley, unlike some other towns and cities around the country, has no central Roll of Honour to remember the Fallen of World War One, and so this project was begun to provide a co-ordinating hub for the recording and preservation of the information on all of the War Memorials in the Barnsley area.

Volunteers have been identifying memorials scattered around the borough in places such as churches, work places etc. & recording the details on them.

Once all of the fallen have been identified, the plan is to make the list of names freely available online to help anyone with their research.

As lots of memorials have been lost owing to the demolition of churches & workplaces, we can only hope that they have been retained somewhere such as someone's loft, storage cupboard or garden shed & await rediscovery.

Can I ask, if anyone sees a memorial advertised & you think there may be a Barnsley connection, will you please let me know?

Cheers

Steve
Old 15-09-15, 01:57 PM

The one consistency I've noticed when reading of War Memorials that have had to be relocated because of demolition of buildings etc, is that if you want them damaged, looted, trashed beyond repair, lost or stolen - get the council to store them.
Old 15-09-15, 05:43 PM

Cool Memorial plaques

Whilst the sale of such items due to whatever circumstances is abhorrent to many, it is better they fall into the hands of collectors and museums rather than being scrapped or used for ballast.

On a positive note, Cambridge council has recently erected two memorial plaques to commemorate the men of The Cambridgeshire Regt who died in battle in Malaya and Singapore, as well as those who died later when prisoners of war.

One plaque is in the Guildhall and one at the offices at Cambourne, these should IMO have been erected years ago so the majority of the survivors could have been present, only a handful of FEPOW's now are left.

But hats off to the present council for erecting these.

Rob
Old 15-09-15, 06:08 PM

We are very fortunate that here in Crewe we have two local Councillors who were members ( in fact one lady was Chairman ) of the Western Front Association when we had a South Cheshire Branch. I know that both Councillors have been proactive in trying to ensure that the sacrifices of the two world wars have not been forgotten locally.

When I first started this thread I had an idea at the back of my mind that if there was the political will, then there could be a new law that any memorials including those that were in old buildings like Churches which were being demolished, then if no new homes for the memorials were available, either the CWGC or perhaps a new Organisation should be offered the items so an appropriate new home could be found and they do not disappear into a black hole to be lost forever.

Sadly there would be no financial benefit to anyone in such an idea so it is unlikely to be even considered.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”