British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-13, 12:55 PM

Default WWI centenary plans

I found this quite interesting:

https://www.facebook.com/britisharmy...ocation=stream

Iain
Old 07-08-13, 06:23 AM

Hello Iain,
I don't use facebook, but, with regards to the centenary, it will be big here, how about down there with you?
Regards Frank

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 07-08-13 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-08-13, 08:40 AM
Badge Guru

I'm not too optimistic in regards what will happen in the UK. A lot of promises made by the Government. It will be interesting to see how many they deliver.

Some organisations are working tirelessly like the War Graves Commission but I'm a little worried about the media just rolling out the same old material we have all seen before.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 07-08-13 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-08-13, 03:14 PM

Just spotted this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...ss-heroes.html

Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 07-08-13, 06:03 PM

Hi All,

thanks for the response, I was beginning to think my original post had died a death through lack of interest.
Frank, I've heard nothing that has been planned but I'm sure there will be but maybe not as high profile as some.
Lee, thanks for the link, very disappointed that SA doesnt get a mention as they also sacrificed so much and was also a Crown Dominion.
Jibba Jabba, I certainly hope the centenary doesnt pass without meaningful celebrations.

I've decided to actually copy over the script for those that dont click on the link.
"We will remember them: Special paving stones will be laid in the hometowns of every UK soldier awarded the Victoria Cross as part of next year's World War I centenary events. New measures to restore war memorials across the country have also been announced.

Today is the anniversary of the death of Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse (pictured), the only man to be awarded the Victoria Cross twice during the First World War. In 1916, Chavasse was hit by shell splinters while rescuing men in no-man's land. It is said he got as close as 25 yards from the German line, where he found three men and continued throughout the night under a constant rain of sniper bullets and bombing. He performed similar heroics in the offensive at Passchendaele to gain a second VC and become the most highly decorated British serviceman in the war. Although operated upon, he was to die of his wounds two days later in 1917.

Captain Chavasse, an orthopaedic surgeon, joined the Royal Army Medical Corps and was attached to the 10th Liverpool Scottish Battalion, King’s Liverpool Regiment.

Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse VC & Bar, MC (9 November 1884 – 4 August 1917)"

regards, Iain
Old 07-08-13, 08:13 PM

Hi Iain,
In my very short time on here, this is the first time I have seen you post outside of the South African section, so you must forgive me.
I am confident that Jacob will not let you down, I hope not anyway, your country men played a very important part from the very begining, I don't think Botha even bothered to consult parliament or indeed the public before comitting his forces.
It is, I feel, a great shame that they are often overshadowed in the eyes of a great many by the events of August and September 1914 in Belgium and France, but, this does not detract, they were really quite magnificent.
On the same day war was declared, Botha, told H M government that they should feel free to withdraw the garrision and just two days later he was asked if SA forces could capture the ports in GWSA and those all important masts!
Which he did, in record time too, quite superb!
I think it was Reuters that reported that "The Transvaal Horse Artillery left Johannesburg quietly and unobtrusively" on the 28th August, they did not make mention of any destination, if memory serves, it was actually Raman's Drift, so across the Orange and indeed across the border, though, of course, cousin Bill just happened to have a fortress there!
It needs to be remembered, not just by us both today, but, by the rest of your countrymen!
Kind regards to you all down there,
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi All,

thanks for the response, I was beginning to think my original post had died a death through lack of interest.
Frank, I've heard nothing that has been planned but I'm sure there will be but maybe not as high profile as some.
Lee, thanks for the link, very disappointed that SA doesnt get a mention as they also sacrificed so much and was also a Crown Dominion.
Jibba Jabba, I certainly hope the centenary doesnt pass without meaningful celebrations.

I've decided to actually copy over the script for those that dont click on the link.
"We will remember them: Special paving stones will be laid in the hometowns of every UK soldier awarded the Victoria Cross as part of next year's World War I centenary events. New measures to restore war memorials across the country have also been announced.

Today is the anniversary of the death of Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse (pictured), the only man to be awarded the Victoria Cross twice during the First World War. In 1916, Chavasse was hit by shell splinters while rescuing men in no-man's land. It is said he got as close as 25 yards from the German line, where he found three men and continued throughout the night under a constant rain of sniper bullets and bombing. He performed similar heroics in the offensive at Passchendaele to gain a second VC and become the most highly decorated British serviceman in the war. Although operated upon, he was to die of his wounds two days later in 1917.

Captain Chavasse, an orthopaedic surgeon, joined the Royal Army Medical Corps and was attached to the 10th Liverpool Scottish Battalion, King’s Liverpool Regiment.

Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse VC & Bar, MC (9 November 1884 – 4 August 1917)"

regards, Iain

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 08-08-13 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-08-13, 02:35 AM

Hi Frank,

I wasn't targeting you, I actually thought there would be huge interest from the other Brits with such a major centenary.

You are quite correct in all of your history of SA's involvement in WWI, although there was also the episode in Delville wood and of course GEA.

SA was fully committed and actually with the recent anniversary of Delville wood, there was an official wreath laying by the SANDF so there should be bigger things next year.

You also have the individual regiments, Transvaal Scottish for example who will certainly put on a big show.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hi Iain,
In my very short time on here, this is the first time I have seen you post outside of the South African section, so you must forgive me.
I am confident that Joseph will not let you down, I hope not anyway, your country men played a very important part from the very beginning, I don't think Botha even bothered to consult parliament or indeed the public before comitting his forces.
It is, I feel, a great shame that they are often overshadowed in the eyes of a great many by the events of August and September 1914 in Belgium and France, but, this does not detract, they were really quite magnificent.
On the same day war was declared, Botha, told H M government that they should feel free to withdraw the garrision and just two days later he was asked if SA forces could capture the ports in GWSA and those all important masts!
Which he did, in record time too, quite superb!
I think it was Reuters that reported that "The Transvaal Horse Artillery left Johannesburg quietly and unobtrusively" on the 28th August, they did not make mention of any destination, if memory serves, it was actually Raman's Drift, so across the Orange and indeed across the border, though, of course, cousin Bill just happened to have a fortress there!
It needs to be remembered, not just by us both today, but, by the rest of your countrymen!
Kind regards to you all down there,
Frank
Old 08-08-13, 06:15 AM

Good morning Iain,
My comments refer only to GSWA, yes, we should remember both their service in F&F and in GEA too!
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Frank,

I wasn't targeting you, I actually thought there would be huge interest from the other Brits with such a major centenary.

You are quite correct in all of your history of SA's involvement in WWI, although there was also the episode in Delville wood and of course GEA.

SA was fully committed and actually with the recent anniversary of Delville wood, there was an official wreath laying by the SANDF so there should be bigger things next year.

You also have the individual regiments, Transvaal Scottish for example who will certainly put on a big show.

regards, Iain