British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-16, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Purely from my own point of view, I think that is rather too much money, I honesty do not think they are worth that, I do like your signature, by the way, it takes me back some thirty nine years!
Agreed mate, I did see one sell for around the 400 mark a few years back, naturally I think everyone on this forum would love to own one though.

Thanks mate, I recently watched A Bridge Too Far and can't get the quote out of my head, so now I'm passing that on to you lovely people
Old 06-05-16, 06:14 AM

Yes, prices like those absolutely kills it for so many people, it is complete madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
In my opinion prices like this could well be the death of badge collecting as a hobby because very few youngsters (or oldsters) are going to have this sort of money to start collecting and if they see this sort of price they aren't going to even start a collection.
Old 06-05-16, 08:16 AM

I have one at home, not sure if it is ok or not? Maybe I should post it here sometime. Came out of an old Warrant Officers collection who passed on a year or two back. Acquired it as I just like the badge design.

What is the rule of thumb regards these badges, as there appear to be a number of reproductions along with original versions? Mine is well made not junk by any means but has never been appraised.

Brian
Old 06-05-16, 08:54 AM

Default Badge prices

Friends,

The high prices of original SF badges also show what a good investment they really are!

I am convinced - looking back 25+ years - that good pieces are a true investment and will only continue to increase in value.

Just a bit of solace for collector friends who feel they are spending too much! :-)

The money is not gone!

Cheers,

Johan
Old 06-05-16, 08:55 AM
Mr. Jackanory

This will not be the death of badge collecting.
I also collect the odd coin and and have a one stamp stamp collection.
Like coins and stamps there are limited numbers of all items, some in the units, some in the tens, hundreds, thousands etc.
There are some items that are aspirational and many badges and coins and stamps 'do the rounds'.
badges like coins and stamps have rarity value and intrinsic value.
Some will always be unaffordable to all but a tiny minority but we can see them in collections and museums.
While people are interested in military history there will be badge collectors.
A thousand pound tag on one badge doesn't stop me buying another regiment at £35.
A Una and the Lion at £135, 000 won't stop me buying a silver shilling for £25.

Last edited by matti467; 06-05-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-05-16, 01:37 PM

It would be nice to think that good money was going to veterans families when top prices are realised but we all know that is not the case. I believe most collectors acquire items, value them and hopefully research them fully to appreciate what they represent. What is the correct price for any badge? - well does any one know? ... in truth there isn't one - it is an individual thing and hopefully there will always be people who appreciate such items. One thing will spoil this hobby - not prices but reproductions not marked as such. But there again, that is one of the reasons research is so important, and those who do do research get a whole new level of enjoyment out of the hobby No matter how humble our badge/insignia collections begin I would suggest the same rule applies.