British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-09-11, 12:46 AM

Default RAF Patrol Dress 1930s

I have just managed to get some gold wire stripes which I believe are for the RAF "Patrol Dress" for NCOs in the 1930s. Does anyone have a picture of this uniform which I can use in my personal collection?

Dave
Old 21-09-11, 02:09 PM
Banned

Dave, the liklihood of you getting hold of an original set of stripes for this uniform is unlikely as they were made to order. Because of the cost, the uniform (often referred to as the Full Dress for Other Ranks) was rarely worn, ordered or required. I only know of one example, which is in the Kent Battle of Britain Museum, complete with stripes. I have notes somewhere, but if memory serves, stripes were only worn on one arm.

The same stripes have been worn by NCOs on RAF Mess Dress for some years. I have a photo somewhere of a Sergeant/Flight Sergeant wearing it, from the cover of a book, but I cant currently find it. But these are the only examples I have come across in 30 years.
Old 21-09-11, 02:16 PM
Banned

Here it is!

I think the tunic is Venetian cloth, with gilt buttons and small size collars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full dress.jpg (20.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 21-09-11, 08:02 PM
Banned

Found my notes. The Other Ranks full dress uniform, is made of barathea wool, with a five gilt button fastening to the front. The tunic has four pockets, the upper having three point flaps with gilt buttons, the lower with square flaps and no buttons. Gilt collar badges and bullion stripes (where applicable) to the right sleeve only.
Old 21-09-11, 10:59 PM

Thanks Alex for the pic and information. I have seen this before but, unfortunately the drfinition is not good enough to see the construction.

Having been a RAF SNCO for 18 yrs and around mess dress for 40 years, I have only ever seen the small size being worn. I have attached a pic to show the difference - mess dress on the right. The stripes are of expensive contruction, being of heavy metal officer style rank lace, as worn on full dress/mess dress pre/post war, which is why I thought they might be from the 30s.

The other alternative may be the RAF Band uniform of the 50s-60s due to their size. Again pics of that era that show the detail are not easily found.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stripes001.jpg (47.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 21-09-11, 11:23 PM
Banned

The bullion of the stripes is the same as found on the officers mess dress cuffs. I cant recall the exact pattern as found on the Kent Museum example and they dont allow photos (although I am hoping I might get some of this item in a 'swap' deal).

Seeing the two side by side, yes youre right of course, the ones on the left are certainly not Mess Dress. I have several pictures of bandsmen and women of the 50s and although they are not close enough to clearly define the make up, the shape is very much like those you have.

I would think because of the extreme scarcity of the ORs full dress, the post war bandsman/wommen's uniform is the more likely answer.