British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-04-15, 08:59 PM

Default Commando Brigade painted versions

Gentlemen,

as far as I know there are two versions of the 'painted' Commando Brigade badge (as shown on the pictures,with red and blue backing). Is there any more info on why these different versions were made? Is it just a different manufacturer or for instance was one made for Army and the other for Navy Commandos!? Any info would help, thank you.

Boes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00a Rode & blauwe achterkant.jpg (58.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 00b.jpg (60.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 14-04-15, 09:23 PM

Hi. One is printed the other 'painted', two slightly different manufacturing methods
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 15-04-15, 05:30 AM

Default Special Service Group

I don't believe that the debate about variants for Army and RM Cdos is fruitful. This sign was introduced for wear by the Special Service (later Cdo ) Group. Each of the Group's four SS (later Cdo) brigades comprised both Army and RM units. I am sure that the soldiers and Royals will have worn the sign irrespective of detail of manufacture. I would however like to know who wore the smaller example on the left which has been in my collection since the early 1960s, decades before the introduction of the Commando qualification badge.
Cdo_FS_01.jpg
Old 15-04-15, 08:35 AM

Is the painted version (right) Belgian?

Marc
Old 16-04-15, 04:19 PM

Not adding much to what has been said - but just clarifying:

The printed version Lee refers to is the red backed one , the other - with border is the painted one.

Marc, It would be good to get a definitive answer regarding the painted one - often just thought of as a manufacturing variant.

Mike et al - I often wondered if the smaller one was for Mess Dress. I am pretty sure I have seen a gold bullion wire example. You are right in drawing attention to the number of variants in manufacture and design (shape of quillons, hilt etc). Extremely difficult to date some of them without the aid of a database of attributed items.

Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 16-04-15 at 04:30 PM.
Old 16-04-15, 04:36 PM

Mike et al - I often wondered if the smaller one was for Mess Dress. I am pretty sure I have seen a gold bullion wire example. Mike

Mike - you will have seen the small gold bullion version for wear on Mess Dress, but as I stated the small EonF example was in my collection about 20 years before the Commando Qualification badge was introduced - 1977 I believe. The negotiations for such a qualification badge stated about 1962 and was initiated by Lt Col Denis O'Flaherty, then CO 29 Cdo Lt Regt RA. He was also the driving force behind the ROYAL ARTILLERY/COMMANDO two line title in red/blue to match the RM Cdo title. This was overtaken by the introduction of No 2 Dress and 15 years later the Commando Qualification badge was authorised. I'll post an image of my bullion badge when I find it - in the meantime here is the title that never was!
RA Commando on RA Blue.jpg
Old 16-04-15, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Mike et al - I often wondered if the smaller one was for Mess Dress. I am pretty sure I have seen a gold bullion wire example. Mike

Mike - you will have seen the small gold bullion version for wear on Mess Dress, but as I stated the small EonF example was in my collection about 20 years before the Commando Qualification badge was introduced - 1977 I believe. The negotiations for such a qualification badge stated about 1962 and was initiated by Lt Col Denis O'Flaherty, then CO 29 Cdo Lt Regt RA. He was also the driving force behind the ROYAL ARTILLERY/COMMANDO two line title in red/blue to match the RM Cdo title. This was overtaken by the introduction of No 2 Dress and 15 years later the Commando Qualification badge was authorised. I'll post an image of my bullion badge when I find it - in the meantime here is the title that never was!
Attachment 124818
You keep posting that badge and they will be on eBay soon.

Could your small knife possibly be for wear on Officers Service Dress?

Marc
Old 16-04-15, 05:12 PM

Possibly, but only in the mid 1940s as an SS Gp or SS Bde sign. It's certainly a closer representation of an FS fighting knife than any of the later signs/badges. Mike
Old 16-04-15, 05:20 PM

Mike et al - I often wondered if the smaller one was for Mess Dress. I am pretty sure I have seen a gold bullion wire example. You are right in drawing attention to the number of variants in manufacture and design (shape of quillons, hilt etc). Extremely difficult to date some of them without the aid of a database of attributed items.

The bullion qualification badge from my Mess Dress and two worn on stone coloured shirts in HK 1990.
Commando Qualification.01.jpg
Old 16-04-15, 06:41 PM

Hi,
The painted dagger is British. Attached is a photo of one that came from the stores of 48 RM Commando when the unit disbanded.

The person who this came from decided to keep a length of material that the daggers were printed on as he thought it would make a good cravat.

I have seen a few photos of it being worn with the outline showing. I always thought that the Belgian’s had based their dagger on this version.

Also attached is a photo of the first pattern of the dagger badge that they made after the war. The photo came from here http://www.be4046.eu/Commando.htm

Regards

Danny
Commando Painted.jpg CommandoDagger2.jpg
Old 16-04-15, 07:35 PM

A most informative thread - Thanks Boes for kicking it off - and to all contributors.
Mike
Old 16-04-15, 08:03 PM

I can date this example - commonly available in Plymouth in 1964 and worn briefly on my BD. A very unconvincing looking FS fighting knife! Mike
Cdo_FS_02.jpg
Old 16-04-15, 09:18 PM

Variations of the FS knife in my album http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=878
with some exceptions difficult to date and authenticate.

Tim
Old 16-04-15, 09:29 PM

Thanks for all the info, also means I have to get my hands on both versions!
Still looking for the printed one..

Boes

Tags
commando