British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-12-17, 02:32 PM

Default 2/24 Warwickshires

Hi All
A friend has this badge in his collection which he has had for many years. He assumed it was a repro because they are quite scarce but I have my doubts. I can't get a weight but it is light but nice strong construction. Unfortunately, the photos I took with my phone don't do it justice but the finish looks like it was a nice gilt, which you can see but there seems to be some tarnishing where the (possibly silver) overlay meets the gilt. The rear detail is very crisp and detailed as well. The lugs are N-S but are footed and the light where I was looking wasn't good enough for me to tell whether they were brass or copper. If it wasn't for the feet on the lugs I would have said definitely original but perhaps the officer badges did have different lugs in those days. Appreciate any opinions please. Thanks, cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171213_213542.jpg (40.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 20171213_213625.jpg (33.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20171213_163433.jpg (27.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Lugs.jpg (18.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 16-12-17, 03:26 PM

I think, from a brief glance, without actually being able to see the badge, that the initial assumption is certainly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi All
A friend has this badge in his collection which he has had for many years. He assumed it was a repro because they are quite scarce but I have my doubts. I can't get a weight but it is light but nice strong construction. Unfortunately, the photos I took with my phone don't do it justice but the finish looks like it was a nice gilt, which you can see but there seems to be some tarnishing where the (possibly silver) overlay meets the gilt. The rear detail is very crisp and detailed as well. The lugs are N-S but are footed and the light where I was looking wasn't good enough for me to tell whether they were brass or copper. If it wasn't for the feet on the lugs I would have said definitely original but perhaps the officer badges did have different lugs in those days. Appreciate any opinions please. Thanks, cheers,
Alex
Old 16-12-17, 04:07 PM

Alex,

I dont believe it to be genuine as the quality is not there and the loops dont look right.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 16-12-17, 04:37 PM

Hi Simon
Thanks, but unfortunately the photos don't show the quality, it is really good. My only concern was the lugs which may still prove it wrong.
I would like proof that it is fake because the gilt finish is nice and the badge is head and shoulders better quality than fakes I have seen.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 16-12-17, 04:45 PM

Alex,

Better photos may assist in that case.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 16-12-17, 04:49 PM

Alex,
I'm sure the OR's badge is all Gilded brass?? it is not the Officers pattern which does has a Silver central device. The lugs look footed which is a bad sign.
Paul
Old 16-12-17, 07:38 PM

Cool 24th Foot

Could this have been made for the film about Rorkes Drift?

Rob
Old 17-12-17, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Alex,
I'm sure the OR's badge is all Gilded brass?? it is not the Officers pattern which does has a Silver central device. The lugs look footed which is a bad sign.
Paul
Is the officer's pattern different? If so then that would seal it as a repro, it may well have been made for the movie then.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 17-12-17, 11:11 AM

Alex,
The Officers pattern is a little bit smaller with a Silver central device that fits seperately from the badge to a backing plate with pins,sat on a velvet cushion.
I had a quick look in K&K and apparently there is an OR's type with the Sphinx and 24 in white metal. If it is an overlay and with the lugs looking like they do and would still say your friends badge is not right. I have only seen one original ORs badge (all brass) and it certainly did not hang around for long.
They are faked to death
Paul
Old 17-12-17, 11:25 AM

A bit off topic perhaps, but the title of this thread is very confusing.

2/24 Warwickshires would have been a very much used short designation for 2/24th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment (TF) in WW1, if such a battalion had ever existed (which it didn't).

What you mean is 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot, where 2nd Warwickshire is only a secondary title and 24th Foot would have been a very understandable short designation.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I was really baffled by the threads title.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 17-12-17, 02:27 PM

I definitely would like to see better photo's before commenting.
Andy
Old 18-12-17, 06:12 AM

Unfortunately better pics won't be possible. I probably won't see my friend again for another year or so.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 18-12-17, 06:27 AM

i can see what alex is saying in the first pic, the quality looks pretty good and the gilt finish looks promising however from these pics most things about the back look wrong especially the lugs
bc
Old 18-12-17, 08:52 AM

Hi BC
Yes, the lugs are the main issue. Unfortunately, as mentioned, the photos don't show the detail well at all but the back stamping is as crisp as the front and very detailed, which isn't apparent in the photos.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 18-12-17, 10:46 AM

Sorry Alex, but I have to agree with Simon here. I think your friend's badge is no more than just a clever fake.
It's not just the "footed-lugs" that give it away, but the overall quality and workmanship of the badge itself. To me it looks like an ORs badge (possibly a repro) that has been "tarted-up" with a certain degree of skill, in gilt and silver "wash" and suitably treated to give the impression of age.

As far as I am aware, Officer's 24F glengarry badges were of three basic types, viz ;
(1) Crowned garter (as for ORs) but in die-pressed silver with a plain back. I understand there is an example in the SWB Museum Brecon.
(2)A circular badge, again die-pressed silver (pin backed) ex Bosley Sale 13th Feb 1995. Lot 20, Fetched £500.
(3) Embroidered sphinx above figs 24. Again, an example in the Regtl Museum.

There was also a two piece Officer's badge of the style of the post 1881 series on e-bay 16th Feb 2015 (to which Paul refers) which sold for £530, tho' I have my suspicions about that one too ... but, from what I remember, it certainly looked the part.
For obvious reasons, glengarry badges of the 24th Foot for this period are much sought after, more expensive, and thus more copied than others in this series, and I am sorry to say that your candidate appears to be in this category. Regards. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 18-12-17 at 09:54 PM.