British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-17, 05:19 PM

Default South Staffordshire Regiment with pagri badge

A rather knackered post card rescued from the dustbin of history, Walsall section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baba 013.jpg (44.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg baba 012.jpg (37.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg baba 014.jpg (37.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 20-06-17, 05:30 PM

Nice.
Back in 1979 I had the opportunity to look through a couple of large albums of South Staffs photos. I think it was 2nd Bn, in KD & sun helmets, including in India pre WWI.
The albums were just left here or there around one of the HQ Coy offices of 1 Staffs, just had to be somewhere, just kind of getting in the way.
I have wondered whether they ever found a "proper" home or ended up in the bin or flogged to a dealer.
Old 20-06-17, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Nice.
Back in 1979 I had the opportunity to look through a couple of large albums of South Staffs photos. I think it was 2nd Bn, in KD & sun helmets, including in India pre WWI.
The albums were just left here or there around one of the HQ Coy offices of 1 Staffs, just had to be somewhere, just kind of getting in the way.
I have wondered whether they ever found a "proper" home or ended up in the bin or flogged to a dealer.
Sadly, with the destruction of the old county regiments, amalgamations and the consequential loss of regimental museums many items of historical interest have been lost to future historians. Not so much the medals, silverware and the like but the personal stuff relating to individual soldiers.

I am convinced that it is anoraks* like ourselves who do the heavy lifting when it comes to preserving the artefacts and therefore the remembrance of the common soldier.

*Editor's note. A padded jacket of Inuit origin.