British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-15, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
I know it is an old thread, but as the picture came from the same collection, I thought it should be tagged on here. Anyone care to suggest what this cap badge is? I have an idea, but would like to here what others think.

There are still a lot of interesting photo's with this lot. Not all pictures have badges in, but I will post some more if the interest is there.

Anyhow, back to the subject matter.........
A 'Hawk'.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 19-09-15 at 09:56 PM.
Old 19-09-15, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks High Wood

You are right of course and this is a project that is well underway.

Another picture from the collection that I was given, this time with some clues The picture all seem to be something to do with the young lad sitting bottom left. I would guess that this photo dates from around 1940 as a couple of the Ratings (including our chap) are still wearing named tallies and the rest just "H.M.S."

Now to just try and decipher the name................
Just come across this thread. HMS Royal Arthur was a stone frigate used for training. If anyone has been to Butlins Skegness you will probably have seen some of the old building as the facility was requisitioned for the duration!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ro..._establishment)
Old 20-09-15, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I know it is an old thread, but as the picture came from the same collection, I thought it should be tagged on here. Anyone care to suggest what this cap badge is? I have an idea, but would like to here what others think.

There are still a lot of interesting photo's with this lot. Not all pictures have badges in, but I will post some more if the interest is there.

Anyhow, back to the subject matter.........
14/20 Hussars - taken in India in a brand new black beret? Very informal for a SNCO in a Regular Cavalry regiment! Mike
Old 20-09-15, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry, just one more before I log off..........

As I said a lot of the photo's are in poor condition, but this one has got me puzzled

Again, any ideas? No clues on the back I'm afraid (just someone's accounting and the printed number 0216 I think?)

Thanks, you have all been most helpful
This chap looks like a duty orderly to me. Dressed similar to walking out but the Bedford cord riding breeches and boots imply a duty galloper.
Old 13-06-17, 09:52 PM

Thought I would revisit this old thread again....

Over the last couple of years, I have managed to rescue quite a few old pictures from car boot sale and the like, but this year I have picked up two or three albums packed with images from the turn of the last century (it breaks my heart to see how little value is placed on these pictures!). Most of the images are interseting from a social history aspect, but for the purposes of this forum there is the odd military postcard.

So, I thought I would share this one with you in the slim hope of a possible ID...........

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:20 PM.
Old 13-06-17, 10:24 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
I Anyone care to suggest what this cap badge is?.

That is the "skipping chicken" if I am not mistaken..... could be the answer to the oval bi-metal with slider
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ed 2 (2015).jpg (61.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Ed 2 (2015)x.jpg (18.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1015958.jpg (43.5 KB, 14 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 13-06-17, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks High Wood

You are right of course and this is a project that is well underway.

Another picture from the collection that I was given, this time with some clues The picture all seem to be something to do with the young lad sitting bottom left. I would guess that this photo dates from around 1940 as a couple of the Ratings (including our chap) are still wearing named tallies and the rest just "H.M.S."

Now to just try and decipher the name................
You are probably already aware but HMS Royal Arthur was a landship. Still in existance but now known as Butlins Skegness!!!!! Taken over during WWII as a training base. I have a photo somewhere with a hammock on the verandha of a chalet!! Only found out by chance, happened to be involved with a refurbishbishment of a jerry built accommodation block that was named as Royal Arthur so did some research.
Old 14-06-17, 04:50 AM

14th/20th Hussars on a yellow felt backing?
Tony.
Old 14-06-17, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Thought I would revisit this old thread again....

Over the last couple of years, I have managed to rescue quite a few old pictures from car boot sale and the like, but this year I have picked up two or three albums packed with images from the turn of the last century (it breaks my heart to see how little value is placed on these pictures!). Most of the images are interseting from a social history aspect, but for the purposes of this forum there is the odd military postcard.

So, I thought I would share this one with you in the slim hope of a possible ID...........
Nozzer,

Unable to help with an ID, I'm afraid, but just wanted to say what a great photo, and thanks for posting.

I note that our padre seems to have two types of button; G/M on the pocket flaps, and black(?) elsewhere. Also, the high quality and clarity of the photo allows us even to discern the warp and weft in the fabric of his cap.

Agree totally with you on points in your opening post. It's heart-rending to think of the countless thousands of such images depicting long-forgotten and potentially unidentifiable people, consigned to the unknown.

I recall an incident some years ago which really brought home to me how shockingly indifferent many people can be with regard to this kind of thing... I was in a dealer's shop in London, looking at some cap badges, when in walked a man (in his mid-40s) clutching a polythene folder containing a number of old photos. The man approached the counter, removed the photos from the folder, laid them out. He then asked the shopkeeper if he'd be interested in buying them, and explained they were of his great grandfather in uniform, dating from the Great War period.

As it turned out, the dealer had less interest in the photos than the seller, and said he would be able only to offer around £10 for the lot. The seller stood there in silence for a moment or two contemplating the offer, before politely declining and leaving the shop.

I confess to having been utterly shocked by this. Personally, I'd give anything to have priceless treasures such as photos of ancestors, and the thought of parting with them for a few quid seems unspeakably mercenary. That said, we know nothing of the seller's circumstances, but it still smarts to think of how little value some of us place on these precious and irreplaceable moments in time.

Great thread, Nozzer.

JT
Old 14-06-17, 07:59 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
14th/20th Hussars on a yellow felt backing?
Tony.
I would agree Tony..... but that is a "large" chicken?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 15-06-17, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
That is the "skipping chicken" if I am not mistaken..... could be the answer to the oval bi-metal with slider
It certainly does look like it, however the badge you mention, as you would know, was replaced in 1915 as it was considered a bit "politically incorrect" considering world events of the time. So, considering the dress in the picture, I would go with 14th/20th Hussars, as Tony has pointed out, with a primrose backing.

Hi JT

The story you recount, is probably a sad fact of the times. However, I think with the sudden interest in our ancestry ("Who do you think you are" on the box etc, etc.), hopefully things have changed to a certain degree. These albums are becoming harder to find at my local boot sale, coming from the regular house clearance chaps. Perhaps times are changing?

I wonder what happend to the pictures that you mention?