British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-15, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
'they must be fake'

Simon.
Simon

I admire you're confidence and insight I wish I could be so certain

Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 09-04-15, 06:57 PM

Not a fan, the crowns in particular cause concern!

Quote:
I have acquired what appear to be white metal overlays for 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards cap badges. Is anyone aware of brass VDG badges with white metal overlays?

The overlays are die stamped and therefore too thin to have been complete badges and there is no evidence of them ever having been lugged. My guess is that what I have are left overs from a production run but for what exactly?
Old 09-04-15, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
Simon

I admire you're confidence and insight I wish I could be so certain

Rob
Rob,

I am certain because I have them on the desk in front of me. They are too flat and too thin to be cap badges. That said they may have been made to attach to souvenir cigarette cases or similar items. I might ask a man that I know in Tamworth to braise one onto something appropriate for me.

In the spirit of Blue Peter I have had a go and made my own 5DG tea spoon to match my 2nd Btn M.G.C. spoon. Rather nice don't you think?

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spoon 001.jpg (30.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 09-04-15 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Rob,

In the spirit of Blue Peter I have had a go and made my own 5DG tea spoon to match my 2nd Btn M.G.C. spoon. Rather nice don't you think?

Simon
Lovely

Old 10-04-15, 12:53 AM

Simon

I have researched this a little further.

These images posted are of two 5RIDG badges from the D.Linaker collection held in the IWM, both reputed to be made by JRGL.

Having studied both carefully, IMO I think badge 367 is a very close match to your unfinished badges, in particular note the poor definition to the pearls and the cross at the top of the crown is very distinctive to this strike.

The dimensions are 38.1mm high x 30.4mm wide c/w slider fixing. (Could you please confirm what are the dimensions of your badges?)

Whilst, this may not prove the validity of your badges, it suggests to me that they were possibly struck/copied from a Gaunt die
If genuine, the lack of quality may indicate war time production.

It is true though that copies abound of this badge, so the jury is still very much out for me, it would be easier if I saw them in the 'flesh'.

Hope this is of interest.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5RIDG JRGL 366&367 001.jpg (68.9 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Robthereiver; 10-04-15 at 01:58 AM. Reason: improved text.
Old 10-04-15, 08:06 AM

Rob,

excellent research and your measurements are exactly the same as the 'badges' in my possession. I will send you a P.M.

Simon.
Old 11-04-15, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Rob,

excellent research and your measurements are exactly the same as the 'badges' in my possession. I will send you a P.M.

Simon.
Simon

Thank you, pm replied to.

Rob

Old 14-07-17, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30075148

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30075150

A rather useful pair of s/p cards for the badge for the amalgamated regt. Dating the s/p to 1929. The design had been used by the Fifth's officers previously.

Combined with this card: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30075117 which declares the 6th Dragoons badge as obsolete from Jan 29, it suggests that the first card is indeed the first one issued in 1929 and not a later card produced for re-sealing.

I would suggest that the amalgamated regts was one of the ones who kept separate sqn identities badged to the antecedent regts after 1922. The 15/19th also did this but the 13/18th did not: the adoption of a 'new' badge for the amalgamated regts seems to have been regtl practice rather than any policy.

Last edited by Alan O; 14-07-17 at 12:39 PM.
Old 14-07-17, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30075148

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30075150

I would suggest that the amalgamated regts was one of the ones who kept separate sqn identities badged to the antecedent regts after 1922. The 15/19th also did this but the 13/18th did not: the adoption of a 'new' badge for the amalgamated regts seems to have been regtl practice rather than any policy.
Alan

you are correct the regiment kept its antecedent's insignia for the first several years of its existence. A regimental plan for the unification of dress between the 5th Dragoon Guards and the 6th Dragoons was not prepared until 1927/28 as recorded in Change and Challenge: The Story of the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards 1928-1978 Together with a Short Account of Their Parent Regiments the 5th Princess Charlotte of Wales's Dragoon Guards and the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons by Sir Cecil Blacker, page xxviii.

The appearance of the sealed pattern in 1929 ties in nicely with the above.

John