British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-14, 12:42 PM

Hullo Iain

I believe that the owner of my BD blouse was posted to Kimberley Regt while in Italy. There is mention of him being in KR in one of the documents.

Many thanks to all the contributors of this thread. Find it very interesting. It is amazing how many South Africans and Rhodesians served in other than their own national forces.

Regards

Dudley
Old 10-05-17, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Not much, Lee, since as a matter of fact the poor guy sat in his Stalag in Austria from December 1941: there's a letter from the commander of C Squadron, IVth Arm. Car recce Rgt to the guy's wife, dated Durban, 19th May 1942, his application for campaign medals, his service records where he is stated as missing on November 24th 1941, and confirmed POW from December 5th 1941, released from the Stalag (presumably in early May), arrived in the UK on May 15th 1945 and discharged from the UDF on November 19th 1945. There is a postcard sent from Stamm-Lager XVIII a and a photograph on a SATC postcard where the guy is wearing KD and a black beret with a cap badge that appearently looks like the 2nd or 4th SA Infantry but I guess is really SATC.
Very late response to this thread, but I was looking at the postcard and noticed something pretty significant. The design/drawing of the cap badge shows the slogan 'We Are' and 'Ons Is'. It also has a depiction of a springbok head at the top of the wreath. This is almost identical to the second pattern badge that was issued c.September 1941. Note the card is dated Christmas 1940, New Year 1941, so 9 months before badge was issued. It appears the design of the second pattern badge may be as a result of this drawing... very interesting