British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-08-16, 05:59 PM

Default Chin Hills Badge ?

So I stumbled on this badge and was initially quite interested even though I think the asking price is at the top end. However I then looked at the other badges he was listing ( check out the LRDG and Popski's badge) and realised that the chances on this one being genuine amongst all the other dross he was selling was remote. What does everyone else think? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3020382406...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 24-08-16, 06:51 PM

It's very difficult to say isn't it, as you know lots of these type of units OR's badges were probably manufactured in country. I would always be cautious with blackened badges anyway, I do what you've done is I look at what else the seller has, if alarm bells ring with other things then I always have second thought. Not sure I could ever hazard a guess if it is genuine or not. Have a look at my Burma album as I wouldn't be surprised if I've picked up some dodgy ones along the way, I do think it's much more difficult to spot colonial fakes as opposed to British Army badges.
Best of luck
Sean
Old 25-08-16, 02:55 AM

I saw this couple of weeks ago and made him a decent offer but was declined. Fact is one can never be entirely sure if its an original so if you get it reasonably cheap its fine otherwise let go..
Old 26-08-16, 05:17 AM

Default BMP, BFF, Volunteers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
So I stumbled on this badge and was initially quite interested even though I think the asking price is at the top end. However I then looked at the other badges he was listing ( check out the LRDG and Popski's badge) and realised that the chances on this one being genuine amongst all the other dross he was selling was remote. What does everyone else think? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3020382406...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
[1] BMP (1886 - 1937) - 53 different units raised.
[2] BMP (1937) split into:
(a) BFF: comprising SSS, NSS, Myitkyina, Bhamo, CH, Reserve & Kekine Bns
(b) BMP: 1st Rangoon Bn, 2nd Rangoon Bn, Mandalay Bn
[3] BAF (1877 - 1889): 9 units which in 1921 reorg to 6 (+1) units
[4] BA : Great War period 70th Burma Rifles (4 Bns) and 85th Burma Rifles (single Bn)

The CH Bn (?) badge at Sapper533 album different from CH Bn (BFF) badge at uncle-ho's ebay offer - from different periods ?

Also interesting: RM BMP & UBVR both of whom were Ruby Mines gents ( the latter had a coy at the R Mines )
Trying to work out which BMP looked after the Tungsten ( Wolfram ) Mines at Mawchi Bawlake.
(Most of the world's supply in the 1930's came from there ) Some Karen levies or successors perhaps ?
Old 26-08-16, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper533 View Post
It's very difficult to say isn't it, as you know lots of these type of units OR's badges were probably manufactured in country.
Best of luck
Sean
I would think that the vast majority of ORs badges were locally made and inmy experience in white metal, not brass. Blackened badges are, as noted, particularly problematic but to me the first warning sign would be the combination of rare badges, unless the seller has a history of selling good and unusual badges, which I can,t speak to. What does the hive mind have to say on his sales record?
Old 30-08-16, 08:30 PM
jamesmilitaria

Here is another example
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...e-a66700f651b2
Old 31-08-16, 02:53 PM

So they do seem to havd been done in brass. Interesting. Thanks.