British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-16, 10:42 PM

Default Cheif Officer badges.

Hello Gents. Been ages since I came on here and it's great to see all the chat and photos of prison insignia being shared amongst us collectors.

I was having a quick sort through my collection the other week and it got me thinking about a strange badge that I know there is a photo of floating around out there.

Below are some examples of Cheif Officer badges through the years, but has anyone got in their collection, or know anymore about the all metal brass CO's badge that I have seen. I think Bantam has a photo of it.

421558_10150822613870830_1109681974_ngfgfgf.jpg
Old 19-09-16, 07:40 AM

Very nice collection HMP.I am unable to post photo at the moment of the all metal Chief Officers badge but will do so on the weekend. Look forward to seeing more examples of fast disappearing prison insignia.
Bantam.
Old 19-09-16, 07:20 PM

Thanks Bantam, I'll post some more pics soon now I've sorted my collection out and stored it properly. I might even have something up to date and brand new to show you.
Old 20-09-16, 07:46 AM

Hi HMPbadges,
I am intrigued ? PM sent,
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 20-09-16, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Hi HMPbadges,
I am intrigued ? PM sent,
Hwyl
Bantam
Don't keep us in the dark, please share it!

Dave.
Old 20-09-16, 08:56 AM

Default Prison Badges

Hi All,
Managed to be able to post photo of the all metal Chief Officers badge sooner then
envisaged.
Hwyl,
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user79_pic40408_1302265258.jpg (39.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 20-09-16, 07:00 PM

Bare with me Dave, nothing too special but hopefully in the next few days I'll have the new rank bars to show you all.
Old 23-09-16, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
Bare with me Dave, nothing too special but hopefully in the next few days I'll have the new rank bars to show you all.
Are these rank bars new to your collection, or new issue to HMPS?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 23-09-16, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewLoose View Post
Please can anyone help.

I've just started collecting prison cap badges, and I would like to find out how many are in the line up.

or where would I find this out.

Thanks.
Hi Screwloose, I missed your original post on this thread, but off the top of my head I would say there are 9 possible 10 main basic grade (Warder and later Officer) badges to collect.

Then if you intend to build on your collection there are both male and female issued badges and higher rank (Chief Officer only) badges to collect etc etc.

The reason I appear no too certain on the amount of badges is there has always been confusion on the types of cloth crown cap badge worn in the 20's/30's. Some of the other collectors on here may be able to come up with an exact number of basic cap badges.
Old 27-09-16, 09:09 PM

Default New Prison Service Rank

As promised gents, something new. These are the new rank bars used on HMPS No.1 uniform.

Nothing but the HMPS title for Operational Support Grades (old Auxiliary Officer), One bar for all basic grade Officers, Two bars for Supervising Officers (old Senior Officer rank) and like the one featured, three bars for Custodial Manager (old Principal Officer rank).

They are currently only used by senior staff at the Prison Service College who have a permanent No.1 uniform for passing out photos etc and will be debuted nationally on the Prison Service Remembrance Parade at the Cenotaph in November.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...1&d=1475010433
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160927_174314-1.jpg (91.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 28-09-16, 06:33 AM

The prison service still don't "get" the fact that nothing should be placed or positioned above the Sovereign's Crown on epaulettes etc. It presumes to show great disrespect to the Queen. But then I suppose that would not occur to those who think these things up. Thanks for showing. As an aside it seems that they have adopted a similar "bar" rank system to that used by the Special Constabulary in some parts of the UK. Even the metal bars are identical.

Dave.
Old 28-09-16, 09:35 AM

First a thank you to HMPbadges for posting the photos and info. Secondly in total agreement with Dave when will the Prison Service ever learn it is only in the last few years that they changed the epaulettes to correct the fact of havening pips above the crown and now they've gone and done it again. Hopefully the mistake will be brought to their attention before November and with a reshuffling of the placement of the insignia the problem will be rectified.
Hwyl,
Bantam
Old 28-09-16, 04:24 PM

I have contacted Newbold Revel today re Dress uniform Rank bars

I spoke to the Duty Custodial manager and asked about these rank bars to be advised that they were purchased off EBay so are unofficial non issued items.

Furthermore she advised me they are no longer worn.

Not worthy of adding to a HMP Collection at this time, if and when they get round to new dress rank insignia I am sure they will be in this sight ASAP

Regards

Stephen

Last edited by yorkstone; 28-09-16 at 04:47 PM.
Old 28-09-16, 07:59 PM

Hi Gents,

These are definitely official and come from the same stock and manufacturer that supplies the UK Fire Brigades with their Senior/Cheif Fire Officer insignia. They have been approved by HQ as well.

These were worn last week at a staff funeral where staff formed a guard of honour in full No.1 uniform, which was supplied by H.M Prison Service as it is no longer personally issued to staff anymore.
Old 29-09-16, 08:10 PM

Big apology to HMP badges following up from Newbold Revel conversation yesterday it appears they were wearing Un issued privately sourced items hence their removal. This bit they forgot to tell me.

I have to day spoken to the main central stores at Risley and HMP Badges is spot on there are new Rank badges to be brought on line this year as in his image.

Their has been a issue with production but hope to have some in my possession next week.

Interestingly nothing has been published on our intranet.

HMP please accept my Full apologies.

Sincerely

Stephen Edwards