British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-09-16, 09:34 PM

Default "Rare" Yorkshire Yeomanry Buttons - Not!

Hi Chaps

Having just been contacted by a friend (new to button collecting but not militaria collecting) who was about to pay far in excess of a fair amount for a relatively common button, I thought it might be a good idea to give a reminder to any new collectors out there.

EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE (IMPERIAL) YEOMANRY - Note that the same pattern button was worn throughout the life of the regiment, 1903-1956. The buttons manufactured 1903-1908 were Imperial Yeomanry buttons but the "IY" remained on the buttons up to and including the latest anodised issues, worn until 1956.

They are attractive buttons but certainly not rare Imperial Yeomanry buttons as my friend was led to believe, they are actually quite common.

Along the same lines -

QO YORKSHIRE DRAGOONS - The rose in garter pattern buttons with QVC were introduced in the 1890's but they retained the QVC until post WW2, probably c.1948.

In the late 1940's they finally changed to a KC, followed by a QC after 1953; this being worn until 1956.

Again, another attractive button but the QVC buttons are not rare (as is often stated on the internet). In fact, the KC & QC versions are harder to find.

The above could equally apply to Yeomanry buttons (and other insignia) from a few other counties.

Buyer beware!

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 23-09-16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 23-09-16, 10:03 PM

Hi David,

I hope you don't mind, but here is another example of Yeomanry buttons that are not as old as they appear.

Harts Yeomanry Cavalry. Button first used in 1831 by The Hertfordshire Yeomanry Cavalry and was used by OR's until 1901 on the formation of the Imperial Yeomanry, but continued until the end Great War by Officers.

Move along a few years and the button was used again by Hertfordshire Yeomanry, 479th HAA and 286th Field Regiment RA between 1947 and 1961. Note the taditional spelling of HARTS and the Victorian crown and the makers mark which dates this to the 1950's-1960's.

Button comes in silver plate (shown), W/M, brass and Bronze.

I have the sealed pattern stored away and if interested, I will pull it out tomorrow.

Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:21 PM.
Old 23-09-16, 11:24 PM

Hi Andy

Thanks for that!

Yes, that's a good example - QVC still being used on fairly modern Herts (or Harts ) Yeo buttons.

Probably the most well known item of Yeomanry insignia along these lines is the Staffordshire Yeo cap badge, still with a QVC in the 1940's.

David
Old 24-09-16, 02:24 PM

Hello Andy

Your button is a classic example of a relatively modern 'Gaunt London' backmark on a button with a 'Victorian' crown - it pays to know a little bit about backmarks!

As David pointed out there are a few of these anomalies out there that can mislead the unwary and unfortunately they are quite often misled by experienced dealers who should know better.

The "Fife & Forfar Imperial Yeomanry" button is another design that was used for many years and can even be found in anodised form. Again, the non-anodised versions are often seen sold as genuine Imperial Yeomanry 1901-1908 period many of which will not be from that period.

It's all part of the learning curve obviously but when well established dealers repeat the incorrect descriptions it becomes almost gospel.

Roger
Old 24-09-16, 02:39 PM

Hi Roger

The person offering the button for sale which I mentioned in my original post was someone who should have known better - and probably did!

David
Old 25-09-16, 10:06 AM

Sealed pattern card for Hertfordshire Yeomanry cap button with Victorian crown "HARTS YEOMANRY CAVALRY" button, which has no makers mark on reverse.

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:21 PM.