British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-12-13, 05:41 PM

Default Helmet headache

Hi guys

I hope someone on here can offer me some advice.

I bought and recieved a 1917 Brodie Mark I helmet.
It's in pretty good shape, but when checking behind the liner I see a white "cake" of what I assume is that lovely, potentially cancer-inducing, asbestos fastened to the top of the helmet. This worries me. Should it worry me?
Should it be removed? Could I seal it? I can't have something potentially dangerous hanging round my family rooms.

Any ideas or input very welcomed.

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"

Last edited by ubervamp; 04-12-13 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 06:37 PM

Colin

PM sent.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 04-12-13, 08:54 PM

Hi,i have a ww1 brodie aswell.What is the solution for this?i guess if you dont touch it,there isnt any risk?t bag
Old 04-12-13, 10:19 PM

t bag

Do you keep it in a display case?

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 07-12-13, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy t bag View Post
Hi,i have a ww1 brodie aswell.What is the solution for this?i guess if you dont touch it,there isnt any risk?t bag
PM sent

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 08-12-13, 08:51 AM

Now that this issue of asbestos/cancer has been raised I would agree that any advice should be transmitted for benefit of Forum collectors. I have several Brodies as well as old gas masks containing asbestos, which are not in showcases. On the whole they are not disturbed, but would they still pose a health concern, and if so, how?
Thanks in advance
GTB
Old 30-04-15, 04:16 AM

Rather than risk the wrath of the forum badge purists with a non badge topic I thought it would be more appropriate to revive this existing thread.......particularly, also, since it seems to deal with my concern.

While researching my WW1 "Brodie" helmet I came across the following warning.

In May, 2014 the UK's Health and Safety Executive, in consultation with the Imperial War Museum advised that WW1-era helmets were not safe to handle, owing to the likelihood of them containing asbestos. It advised that schools should not allow pupils to handle such artifacts, but should ensure instead that the objects were safely disposed of, have the asbestos removed from the object or safely display the object.

My normal tendency has been to poo poo the fun spoiling ramblings of Nanny states but unfortunately I have very good cause to heed any such warnings that may involve asbestos.

There was some discussion on this topic earlier in this thread but most of the information seems to have been passed back and forth in the form of PMs and nothing was really resolved.

What is the opinion or experience of those members who enhance their badge collections with artifacts such as this? How have others safely stored or displayed such items? Am I harboring a potential time bomb?

Incidentally, I was interested to read in the same (Wikipedia) article that the term "Brodie" is often misused and in its correct form refers only to the original 1915 Brodie's Steel Helmet, War Office Pattern helmet. In 1916 the Brodie helmet was modified to become Helmet, Steel. Mk 1

I Man
Old 30-04-15, 05:20 AM

Not sure if this is helpful or not,

But I just today watched a history program that raised the topic of asbestos. Apparently it is only dangerous when ingested and that normally happens when particles/fibers are airborne. This usually happens when asbestos is disturbed. So from that one could deduce that as long as it is not messed with and just displayed (out of the reach of children etc) it should be safe.

I'm no expert (disclaimer) just passing on what was mentioned on the show.

Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 30-04-15, 06:46 AM

Here is an official statement for handling such items in classrooms

http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/consum/grou...uwt_012404.pdf

Now, what is the advice to collectors and museums?
Snog, marry, avoid?
Old 30-04-15, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I am not interested in taking my helmet into a classroom, though I guess I would have, previously, if asked. I am anxious, though to know how other collectors store or display theirs, or if they are even aware of the inherent dangers.

I had not even thought of gas masks and they have the more dangerous blue asbestos that you would be sucking straight into your lungs. One breath full can be enough. A bit of a worry.

Donny B
Old 30-04-15, 07:50 AM

Don't many old heating systems still have asbestos in place? I thought it was a case of if it's undisturbed their isn't a problem but as soon as anything like powder/ fibres etc. are visible it should be left alone and removed by someone licenced to do so.

Tony
Old 30-04-15, 08:06 AM

I believe that the fibres that you can see are normally trapped by the body's filtering system. It is the minute fibres that are invisible to the eye and are too small to be filtered out that cause the problem.

Donny B.
Old 30-04-15, 09:37 AM

Default more information from museums etc.

here are two UK museum policies and one USA policy:

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/document...1_Jan_2012.pdf

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/abou...06F8ED4413.pdf

http://www.911memorial.org/sites/all...olicy%20_1.pdf

I think this summary fits: sealed containers, protective gear, compliance.

On another forum the IWM was queried. Here is this forum's thread:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...owtopic=213140

This is the link from that thread:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...nd%20reply.pdf
Old 25-09-16, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post

Incidentally, I was interested to read in the same (Wikipedia) article that the term "Brodie" is often misused and in its correct form refers only to the original 1915 Brodie's Steel Helmet, War Office Pattern helmet. In 1916 the Brodie helmet was modified to become Helmet, Steel. Mk 1

I Man
Though all the later liners continue to have the red Brodie Helmet inkstamp on them, so I see no problem with the use of the term Brodie when talking about WWI British helmets.

It is only the later liners that have the potential to contain asbestos in them, the first pattern did not have the crown dome pad of material that looks like asbestos, though others have claimed it was lint and gun cotton and not asbestos at all and even the H&SE never tested any helmet liners for its presence, rather they just accepted the word of the IWM who also never tested for it.

The original issue that caused this scare was some WWII gas masks contained asbestos which is what the H&SE tested, no helmets were tested.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...une%202014.pdf

Jerry