British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-09, 09:17 PM

Default Fleet Air Arm? Navy Uniform ID WW2

Hello folks, hope this does not confuse you too much.

I have attached this photo of my grandmother's younger Brother who the family rumours say was Fleet Air Arm, and is known to have flown the Swordfish. Stayed in the Navy and made it a post war full time career, later working at the Admiralty but apparently not allowed to tell his wife what he did. Weird huh?

Anyway, what can be learned from this early uniform shot of him in WW2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Allan Barr 2a.jpg (45.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 29-11-09, 02:29 PM

The rank badge on his left sleeve is definitely that of a Leading Seaman.

His rate badge would be on his right sleeve but it is not visible in the photo, & details are not able to be made out, could you try to post a close of it?
This might proivide a clue to what he did in the RN/FAA.

Same with the badge above his left pocket.

Bryan
Old 29-11-09, 11:52 PM

Dear RAChD,
Agree with RCN a better detailed photo would be of help but at a guess from the shape I would suggest the badge on his left breast is that for a Naval Airman (Rating Observer). Although normally worn on the left cuff it was worn in this position on battledress and tropical uniform.
Old 02-12-09, 02:36 PM

It might be this badge:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAA large.jpg (57.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-12-09, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
It might be this badge:
Having got my glasses on this evening and looked again I believe RCN is right. It not the naval airman (observer) but a Naval Airman (xxx over to you RCN). The observers badge was almost identical with a crown above the oval, which is also formed by a letter O not not the rope shown in the illustration. What I first thought was the crown now looks to be the battledress showing just below the lapel between the wings. Sorry for misidentifying at first.
Old 03-12-09, 01:37 PM

Close up shots of both the right sleeve rate & left breast badge would be very helpful here.

Bryan
Old 04-12-09, 07:36 PM

Many many thanks chaps, the problem is that although the original photo is a postcard size the quality of the print isn't superb and also I suspect the camera also not high grade!
I have attached another pic of the breast badge, but I think the l/h badge in the photo, ie of his right sleeve, is actually the left sleeve of the chap stood next to him. I think this is an enlargement from a photo of a group of mates, but this is the only one we have.
He deffo flew 'on' Swordfish in the earlier part of the war, so Observer would fit nicely in with what we know.
Is this likely.
A family friend [dad's godfather] was also an Observer/Navigator [whichever] on one of the Sink the Bismark raids. Not sure if this chap was or not.
ttfn
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Allan Barr badge.jpg (12.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-12-09, 08:40 PM

It dos not appear to be an Observer's badge, I would say its a Naval Aircrew badge as I have posted above.

His rank at that time {LS} would support that as well.

Bryan

Last edited by RCN; 04-12-09 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAChD View Post
I have attached another pic of the breast badge, but I think the l/h badge in the photo, ie of his right sleeve, is actually the left sleeve of the chap stood next to him. I think this is an enlargement from a photo of a group of mates, but this is the only one we have.

Matt
yes, I too had another look at the photo & agree that appears to be the case.