British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-11, 05:59 PM

Default WRNS blue petty officer badges worn on Topees (sun helmets)?

Hi guys,

Just thought that I would post about this, below is a quote from a recent email conversation that I had:

''I once saw a KC Blue PO Badge in a white sun helmet. I was not sure it was WRNS but I missed it anyway. Would WRNS wear topees do you think? or is this another example of some one messing about? or an alternative use for a blue one?

I couldn't get to examine it properly to see if badge and helmet had always been partners.''

What do the forum's RN experts think about this one? I have no idea of the answer and, as usual for me, online searches, at which I'm rubbish, have revealed nothing.

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 19-09-11 at 11:49 PM.
Old 20-09-11, 02:56 PM

I have this badge as well but I thought it was worn on the beret.

never seen a WRNS wearing a sun helmet tho..............

Bryan
Old 20-09-11, 03:30 PM

Agreed, I thought it was only worn on the beret too, but there is at least one on a sun helmet out there somewhere.

Regards

Phil
Old 20-09-11, 06:03 PM

Hi Phil
I have seen a photo of a SA Womans Naval Service lady in WWII wearing a blue embroidered on white badge on a white ladies tri-corn hat. I'm sure there were other localised variations around the world during the war.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 21-09-11, 11:50 AM

Thats very interesting to know, thanks Alex for replying, sorry I didn't reply quicker myself, I missed the posting.

I will look out for photographic evidence of a topee being worn by wrns, although my research abilities and luck are slim to none.

I think it is safe to make an assumption for now then, that the topee wasa local variation.

Cheers

Phil
Old 21-09-11, 05:12 PM

I would imagine that the topee would be issued to all troops as it was a form of protective headress
Lee
Old 21-09-11, 09:25 PM

Default FURTHER INFORMATION

This is a very neglected area and it is great to see a debate forming with some excellent ideas. The sun helmet with Blue PO Badge formed Lot 383 at an auction in Stafford - 'Marlows' - run by Kevin King. They have an excellent reputation. Looking back at the auction catalogue of 13/5/2010 Lot 383 is listed as: White linen covered four panel low crown pith helmet. Wide brim. Single puggaree band. Blue Painted KC Brass Petty Officer cap badge to the front. Leather sweatband. White lining with makers stamp and dated 1942. Ink named J R Stokes PO. Minor service wear. Est £50-70. How I wish I had bought it now! I think it sold within estimate. Thank you Phil for originating this thread. Regards Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 21-09-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 21-09-11, 09:35 PM

No problem Mike, its quite fascinating. Given that was where it was being sold, i very much doubt that it was a fantasy item. I too would have liked to have got it for that money. Any chance it was a forum member who won it?

Phil
Old 22-09-11, 05:14 PM

Phil

I've had a quick search on the internet and found the link below. Scroll to the bottom of it and see para 4 of the comments from June (at the bottom). Might also be worth getting in touch with the Assoc Of WRNS. I've contacted them once and they were very helpful.

http://www.homefronthistory.co.uk/voices.html

Paddy
Old 28-09-11, 12:52 AM

Thanks Paddy,

When I get back on the PC I will take a look.

Appreciated

Regards

Phil
Old 07-10-11, 11:08 PM

Phil,
The blue painted Kings Crown PO style metal badge is correct WWII issue for wear on the Sun Helmet. Specifically it was for use by non confirmed PO's or those Junior Rates not dressed as Seamen. The pattern No was 55. and price 3d.

The metal CPO (pattern 53) and PO's (Pattern 54) badges were also originally for sun helmets but were later adopted for wear on the beret. Junior rates dressed as Seamen were supposed to wear the cap tally on the helmet.

For clear illlustrations of the differences see Greenhill books 'Uniforms and Insignia of the Navies of World War II' which is based on the wartime publication 'JAN1 ,Joint Army and Navy Publications , Uniforms and Insignia (Washington DC, 1943-45)'. Plate 19 clearly shows the various badges and orders of dress with the sun helmet. The badges themselves being shown in plate 20.

You may also come across Queens Crown versions of this badge these are not from the Royal Navy but are modern items used by the Royal Australian Navy on the 'Akubra' Slouch hat for junior rates.

Hope this helps
Old 07-10-11, 11:29 PM

Thats extremely helpful and informative. I will see if i can track down a copy of greenhills book.

Once upon a time there were quite a few blue po badges about, now they seem to have got scarce.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 03-06-12, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrim82 View Post
Phil,
The blue painted Kings Crown PO style metal badge is correct WWII issue for wear on the Sun Helmet. Specifically it was for use by non confirmed PO's or those Junior Rates not dressed as Seamen. The pattern No was 55. and price 3d.

Hope this helps
Hi All
Sorry to dredge up such an old post, but can anybody confirm that the blue painted badge for the sun helmet was for WRNS only? Just that the post isn't specific and the new 'Rank & Rate' book (vol 2) also gives a different use for it. Unfortunately I don't have it on hand to check exactly what that says.
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex
Old 05-06-12, 11:16 AM

Alex,
The blue painted sun helmet badge has nothing to do with the WRNS it was the standard Royal Navy Ratings badge for use by non confirmed PO's or those Junior Rates not dressed as Seamen. These badges were first introduced into the Royal Navy in early 1939 and the Royal Australian Navy in August 1939 (CNO114/1939).

Hope this clarifies the situation.
Old 06-06-12, 09:51 AM

Hi Antrim82
Thanks very much for the answer. Do you have any idea why they then introduced the bi-metal one, and when that came in was the blue one phased out?
Cheers,
Alex