British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-13, 04:04 PM

Default You can fool some of the people, some of the time...........

Does anyone buy these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-WW...item35cc9289d8

and these are amongst the better one the seller has for sale. I know that some re enactors are prepared to buy less than perfect repros but does anyone actually buy these ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-10-13, 04:34 PM

Out of a sense of morbid curiosity I looked at his other cloth offerings - they are truly appalling! And some of the photographs are surreal.
Mike
Old 06-10-13, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Does anyone buy these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-WW...item35cc9289d8

and these are amongst the better one the seller has for sale. I know that some re enactors are prepared to buy less than perfect repros but does anyone actually buy these ?

P.B.
From looking at his feedback at least eight buyers have purchased these or similar.

Fair enough if it is reenactors buying them rather than risk damage to genuine examples whilst they are rolling about on the grass of a weekend but who knows where they might turn up and for what price in the future once they've been aged and sewn on to old BD material.

It shows us if nothing else that there is a market for just about any item of militaria, good or bad!

Ry
Old 06-10-13, 05:18 PM

Ry,

The only good thing about titles such as this is that nobody with the slightest knowledge will ever for one moment think they might be genuine.

I have never understood the appeal of re enacting ( re enactors probably don't understand the appeal of collecting militaria ) but I would have thought re enactors would have wanted something closer to the real thing to spend their money on.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-10-13, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Peter,

I agree that re-enactors should be like the real thing - generally they should be 4 ranks more junior, 20 years younger and 5 stone lighter.....
Old 06-10-13, 05:23 PM

I'm curious how far ATS re-enactors go for an authentic interpretation of the times.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 06-10-13, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

What are you thinking of? A fumble behind the pub after closing hours with the GI re-enactors?
Old 06-10-13, 05:25 PM

The only difference between him and other sites is that he clearly states that
they are copies.
As Ry says, the problems may arise when they turn up elsewhere in the future.
Eddie
Old 06-10-13, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Ry,

The only good thing about titles such as this is that nobody with the slightest knowledge will ever for one moment think they might be genuine.

I have never understood the appeal of re enacting ( re enactors probably don't understand the appeal of collecting militaria ) but I would have thought re enactors would have wanted something closer to the real thing to spend their money on.

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter, as to your first point, there will always be those who know no better and I suppose there is always someone waiting for just this type of buyer to come along so they can pocket a few bob!

With regard to your second point, I think that there is probably a fair percentage of reenactors who are drawn to the hobby who started off as collectors and maybe consider themselves as this foremost. Reenacting may be just a means to put their collections to what they might consider to be 'good use'.

I'm still on the fence with regard to the practice as I can't disagree with the points that Alan makes but do feel that it does go some way to keeping the history and the interest going and it might be a starting point for a future serious collectors. It takes all sorts to make a world but I do draw the line as I have stated before at fanatics and those who take it just a little bit too seriously, especially the ones who like to be saluted as if they hold the Queen's Commission!

Regards

Ry
Old 06-10-13, 05:35 PM

As I said the in the original post the ATS slip on`s are perhaps the best of this sellers offering but I don't think these would ever fool anyone:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-WW2-PRIN...item35ccb660f9

P.B.

Old 06-10-13, 05:41 PM

Cool Aging repros

Whilst I'm sure re-enactors only re-enact with the best of intentions, it's not too long before repro badges become "RFU" and are sold with provenance, wear and tear on items can add to the prices realised in the future.

Caveat emptor . . !

Rob
Old 06-10-13, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Peter,

I agree that re-enactors should be like the real thing - generally they should be 4 ranks more junior, 20 years younger and 5 stone lighter.....
Fair comments and I tend to agree with you. The vehicles are always a pull for me. Nice to see them so well presented.
Old 06-10-13, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

I went to Horse Guards a few years ago to see a parade of the HCR. It was an evening pagent of the regt's history rather than an official Royal event. There was a ride past by the HCR in period costumes followed by a drive by of vintage armoured cars. The vehicles were all privately owned by I believe an-ex Cavalry officer. Now that was proper 'living history'. Very impressive collection including Rolls Royces.
Old 06-10-13, 09:43 PM
Banned

Default Fake hallmarked silver RAF/Eagle Sqdn. badge.

Good evening.

If you wish to see something to really worry about, look at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390672364940

In the first instance The Hallmarking Act makes it an offence even to offer this for sale. Second, it is an offence to sell it. The Act is one of strict liability: for those Members unfamiliar with strict liability it means that, put simply, ignorance of the law will be no defence. The penalty is a substantial fine and/or imprisonment. And how long will it be before this item reappears as an original?

I have only ever seen two originals offered for sale at Auction. The sums raised were eyewatering: GBP1200+ commision and VAT if memory serves me correctly.

An example of this badge formed the subject of one of my earlier posts, and if any Member is interested, I do have a copy of an Assay Office Report I commissioned on that example. It shows the casting in micro-section. A fascinating way to detect fakes, albeit at GBP50 a time! But, one has to destroy the badge in the process.

Enjoy.
S.T.
Old 06-10-13, 10:16 PM

Valid points. So who regulates this illegal activity? the Assay office?

Also I would suggest members protest to the correct authority rather than stand by and let this kind of thing occur, otherwise unchecked it encourages others....don't you think?

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tourist View Post
Good evening.

If you wish to see something to really worry about, look at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390672364940

In the first instance The Hallmarking Act makes it an offence even to offer this for sale. Second, it is an offence to sell it. The Act is one of strict liability: for those Members unfamiliar with strict liability it means that, put simply, ignorance of the law will be no defence. The penalty is a substantial fine and/or imprisonment. And how long will it be before this item reappears as an original?

I have only ever seen two originals offered for sale at Auction. The sums raised were eyewatering: GBP1200+ commision and VAT if memory serves me correctly.

An example of this badge formed the subject of one of my earlier posts, and if any Member is interested, I do have a copy of an Assay Office Report I commissioned on that example. It shows the casting in micro-section. A fascinating way to detect fakes, albeit at GBP50 a time! But, one has to destroy the badge in the process.

Enjoy.
S.T.