British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-09-13, 02:40 PM

Default fake shoulder titles

Fake items have always been around even before cap badges -ie the glengarry badges by Fox which are now 110+ old As a % i suspect it was higher then than now
Old 27-09-13, 03:01 PM

Some re-enactment groups have had reproduction shoulder titles made, I bought some fake "Cyclist" titles which were very pliable as gap fillers.

There is a Middlesex Regiment unit in the Great War Society, perhaps they originated there?

Rob
Old 27-09-13, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
Fake items have always been around even before cap badges -ie the glengarry badges by Fox which are now 110+ old As a % i suspect it was higher then than now
I have no doubt that you are right but the difference seems to be that back then it was the rarer stuff that was being faked. Nowadays it seems that anything and everything is being copied.
Old 27-09-13, 06:03 PM
guest123a

All previous posters,

An interesting thread.

I personally think that it is very hard to determine what is and is not a fake/copy shoulder title.

I have some which I believe or know to be copies as I have either purchased them as such from a reenactment/historical interest club who had them made or simply by the sheer volume of immaculate unworn rare titles on the market.

An example of the latter which springs to mind is the availability of the 18th West York title, currently readily available from a number of dealers whilst the 16th and 21st titles are not, all should statistically be as equally rare as each other.

As for the thickness of the brass that would not particularly bother me, particularly when it shows signs of polishing, I will also point out that the titles I refer to above are as equally thick as titles with provenance I have which I know to be genuine.

The pliability is a separate matter which I feel ill qualified to comment on as to age and causes not being renowned for my chemistry knowledge or interest, but I'm sure the comment previously posted about this will have substance as this information I would expect would be readily available if one wished to spend the time researching it.

Regards,

M
Old 27-09-13, 06:14 PM

I did this thread last year http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=27452

Andy
Old 27-09-13, 07:41 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Interesting thread,

Must have missed it at the time.

Regards,

M