British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-08-23, 04:53 PM
LYPAO Boff

Default 1991 Kuwait 14/20th Hussars 20H Sqn OC

I read a book regarding reminices of Gulf War 1.
The CO of the 14/20 got roasted by Patrick Cordingley (i believe) because the "A" Squadron Leader was wearing a 20th Hussars cap badge. The 20th became "A" Sqn after the amalgamation with the 14th . It did state that any insignia worn by either regiment was allowed to be worn.

https://horsepowermuseum.co.uk/timel...s-were-formed/ . The link shows an image of the A Sqn leader wearing 20th Hussars cap badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I read a book regarding reminices of Gulf War 1.
The CO of the 14/20 got roasted by Patrick Cordingley (i believe) because the "A" Squadron Leader was wearing a 20th Hussars cap badge. The 20th became "A" Sqn after the amalgamation with the 14th . It did state that any insignia worn by either regiment was allowed to be worn.

https://horsepowermuseum.co.uk/timel...s-were-formed/ . The link shows an image of the A Sqn leader wearing 20th Hussars cap badge.
The officer pictured is Major Peter Garbutt. Some years later he was my Commanding Officer. I attended a supper party at his house. His family had been associated with the regiment for several generations and there were several impressive medal groups on the walls of his house. His children had a "dressing up box" which contained regimental uniforms and hats dating back to Victorian times .... I almost cried when I saw them being worn as children's "dressing up clothes". The hat bearing the 20th Hussars badge was almost certainly his granfather's original hat.....

Paul

....good on him, if you aint Cav' ....you aint

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by Alan O; 07-08-23 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-08-23, 06:01 PM

So I served with C Sqn 14/20th Hussars in Berlin just before they went back to their Regtto deploy to the Gulf. I’m sure Major Garbett was our Squadron Leader. Great posting!

Regards
Ian
Old 07-08-23, 07:00 PM

Some of the Officers certainly tried to mimic WW1/2 days, we had a 17th/21st Officer attached to us, he wore a battered khaki peaked hat, motto and medal ribbons, I saw a few other eccentric cavalry Officers.
I haven't heard that saying for a while Paul, if you ain't Cav...you ain't
Chris