British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-23, 12:33 PM

Default M H S bulletins

Hi All,

I am attemting to put together a complete run of bulletins for the Military Historical Society.Thanks to a very friendly gesture from postwarden who I would like to publicly thank very much, I now have a run from the bulletins start in 1950 up to 1976 and hope to receive more from the same source.
I would like to offer research help to anyone who is looking for information from these bulletins, so please feel free to ask for look ups. The photos in them aren't the greatest, but the info with them might prove useful.

PS - if possible, could members direct me to a particluar bulletin by number or date ?

Cheers,Mark

Last edited by mm1; 17-07-23 at 02:14 PM.
Old 17-07-23, 02:43 PM

Thank you for that kind and generous offer, which could become a great resource. Hopefully they might be digitised and searchable online one day. In the meantime an index of all the contents posted here in the forum would make a huge difference, although I don’t know if they are placed in alphabetical order.
Old 17-07-23, 04:07 PM

Default MHS

Hi Toby,

unfortunately, the early ones I now have up to 1976 don't have a contents page.But, you do get a seperate index bulletin for some runs of volumes. I will go through them all to see which have these indexes and post them when I can.

Mark
Old 17-07-23, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Thank you for that kind and generous offer, which could become a great resource. Hopefully they might be digitised and searchable online one day. In the meantime an index of all the contents posted here in the forum would make a huge difference, although I don’t know if they are placed in alphabetical order.
Toby, they are digitized and members can access the articles from the database.

https://www.militaryhistoricalsociet...k/BulletinSrch
Old 18-07-23, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Toby, they are digitized and members can access the articles from the database.

https://www.militaryhistoricalsociet...k/BulletinSrch
Thank you John. Being of the pirate persuasion I live in hope of free access one day, as per what Mark is ostensibly offering to forum members. I recognise the value of subscription payments, but it’s also true that they inevitably end up excluding those on low incomes or young people just starting out with their interest and I see that restrictive effect so often in life in general that I’ve become quite idealistic and even heretical about providing free access after such a long period of time has passed. Such dusty old members only societies only atrophy otherwise anyway. It seems to me that the digital revolution has to be embraced rather than attempting to hold the tide back.
Old 18-07-23, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi Toby,

unfortunately, the early ones I now have up to 1976 don't have a contents page.But, you do get a seperate index bulletin for some runs of volumes. I will go through them all to see which have these indexes and post them when I can.

Mark
Thanks Mark, it’s extraordinarily generous of you.
Old 18-07-23, 06:44 PM

Default MHS

No problem, thanks to the lovely British weather, I might get chance to go through the ones I have

Mark
Old 19-07-23, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Thank you John. Being of the pirate persuasion I live in hope of free access one day, as per what Mark is ostensibly offering to forum members. I recognise the value of subscription payments, but it’s also true that they inevitably end up excluding those on low incomes or young people just starting out with their interest and I see that restrictive effect so often in life in general that I’ve become quite idealistic and even heretical about providing free access after such a long period of time has passed. Such dusty old members only societies only atrophy otherwise anyway. It seems to me that the digital revolution has to be embraced rather than attempting to hold the tide back.
I see your point of view Toby, the MHS is one of the few subscriptions I have kept up as I find it of great value. It is 20 GBP for UK addresses.

Non members can search that database but cannot view the articles. So it is of some use to all. The copyright of the material in the bulletin remains that of the author unless authors transfer copyright of their work to the MHS. So, in theory, the author's permission may be needed for materials in copyright.

On the matter of digitization I could not agree more.

John
Old 19-07-23, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
I see your point of view Toby, the MHS is one of the few subscriptions I have kept up as I find it of great value. It is 20 GBP for UK addresses.

Non members can search that database but cannot view the articles. So it is of some use to all. The copyright of the material in the bulletin remains that of the author unless authors transfer copyright of their work to the MHS. So, in theory, the author's permission may be needed for materials in copyright.

On the matter of digitization I could not agree more.

John
Thank you John, as per usual your take on the matter is admirably lucid, fair and necessarily cautionary.
Old 16-08-23, 06:39 PM

Default MHS

Hi All,

following a very generous offer by postwarden, I now have most of the MHS bulletins. To complete the full run, I need the following ones :-

Feb 1982, Aug/Nov 1988, all of 1989, all of 1990,Feb 1991,all of 1997/98/99, Feb/Aug 2000,Aug 2016,Aug 2017.

If anyone has any of these to fill the gaps, I would be very grateful and willing to purchase.

Thanks for looking, Mark

Last edited by mm1; 21-08-23 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more received
Old 16-08-23, 07:37 PM

Greetings Mark.

I think I should have a few of those, I'll have a butcher's and get back to you very shortly.

Regards.

Brian.
Old 16-08-23, 07:50 PM

Mark.

I have May 2012; February 2018; August 2020; May 2022 and August 2022.

The others may well be lurking and loitering somewhere in the house, probably underneath a bed or similar, if I discover their hiding places I'll let you know.

If you would like them, I'll send them up with the cap.

Regars.

Brian.
Old 16-08-23, 11:04 PM

Default MHS

Very good of you Brian and much appreciated.

Mark
Old 21-08-23, 08:55 AM

Default MHS

Following very generous offering from fatherofthree, I now have a few more. List of wanted bulletins updated.

Mark