British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-23, 01:03 PM

Default Seeking ID of WW1 Volunteer Regiment badge.

Can anyone help with the identity of the enclosed unit insignia? At first I thought it was the 30th Infantry Battalion of the CEF, whose cap badge was a quite similar shape, but the close up image proved otherwise. I now think it might be a badge of a Volunteer Force, Volunteer Regiment, formed towards the end of the war from the previous Volunteer Training Corps (VTC) units. But which unit is it? As an example titles might read something like 2nd Birmingham [Volunteer] Regiment. This has become a real mystery and I’d appreciate help in tracking this down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9276.jpeg (32.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9277.jpeg (59.8 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 23-08-23 at 01:18 PM.
Old 23-08-23, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Toby

The 1918 VB wore either the CGS Coat of Arms or the regiment badge they were affiliated to (without the honours). Some retained VTC ones but there were no 'new' VB ones to my knowledge.

He looks Colonial.

Alan
Old 23-08-23, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Toby

The 1918 VB wore either the CGS Coat of Arms or the regiment badge they were affiliated to (without the honours). Some retained VTC ones but there were no 'new' VB ones to my knowledge.

He looks Colonial.

Alan
As I understood it there were quite a number of Volunteer Regiment badges post VTC, but they were replaced at the very end of the war by badges identical to regulars. The Armistice came before very many units had been so equipped. However, there is a book on all the VTC and VF badges by Ray Westlake but I don’t possess a copy, perhaps my wires are crossed. For example, isn’t one of the City of London badges below VTC and the other VR? It has appeared that the sequence was 1914-15 VTC badges. 1916-17 GS badges. Early 1918 initially VR badges of individual design, late 1918 ordered to wear regimental insignia. If that’s so then VTC and VR insignia were separate and sandwiched around GS badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9281.jpg (75.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9284.jpeg (82.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9283.jpg (21.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 23-08-23 at 02:33 PM.
Old 23-08-23, 02:16 PM

Hello Toby,
Wording looks like BRITISH COLUMBIA.
Regards, John
Old 23-08-23, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hello Toby,
Wording looks like BRITISH COLUMBIA.
Regards, John
Thank you John that’s really helpful. I’m wondering if a new badge has been discovered (although that ostensibly seems unlikely) as the British Columbia CEF unit was numbered 30th and had a different cap badge design albeit with some distinct similarities around shape and construct. It gets curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 23-08-23 at 02:34 PM.
Old 23-08-23, 02:44 PM

Default BRITISH COLUMBIA

I think it's a variation of the 2nd BRITISH COLUMBIA BTN, in Babin's book two variations are shown, one similar with "30" in place of the "2" and the other with a "2" superimposed on a maple leaf with "BRITISH COLUMBIA" on the scroll below.

Quite how a "30" fits in I will leave up to others to explain, Lt Col. J.A. Hall was the commanding officer.

Rob
Old 23-08-23, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I think it's a variation of the 2nd BRITISH COLUMBIA BTN, in Babin's book two variations are shown, one similar with "30" in place of the "2" and the other with a "2" superimposed on a maple leaf with "BRITISH COLUMBIA" on the scroll below.

Quite how a "30" fits in I will leave up to others to explain, Lt Col. J.A. Hall was the commanding officer.

Rob
I’ve just been commenting on those badges to which you refer in the Great War Forum. As things stand it seems to imply that the feeder infantry battalion sent to Britain to support the 1st British Columbia’s was numbered 7th IB and the equivalent feeder sent for the 2nd British Columbia’s was numbered 30th IB. However, even if so it doesn’t explain why badges marked 30th can be readily found, but badges marked 2nd cannot. It’s very perplexing at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9287.jpeg (112.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9286.jpg (97.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 23-08-23, 10:30 PM

Default BRITISH COLUMBIA

Apart from the technicalities, 1st British Columbria is one of my favourite Canadian badges, I would love a 2nd . . !

Rob
Old 24-08-23, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Apart from the technicalities, 1st British Columbria is one of my favourite Canadian badges, I would love a 2nd . . !

Rob
Apparently it was the prototype badge for 2nd BC Regiment and was withdrawn in 1916. Details can be seen at canadiansoldiers.com - scroll down to just past 30th Battalion: https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/ins...7%20-%2035.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9288.jpg (40.3 KB, 10 views)