British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-14, 07:01 PM

Default Help Wanted with RA Captain - Changi POW

Hi,
My grans brother was a Captain in the Artillery captured in the fall of Singapore. A prewar soldier called up aged 39 in 39 and commissioned a Lieutenant Quarter Master

Does anyone have lists which may help identify which unit he belonged to. Family folklore is 18 Division but even this is uncertain

His name was Captain Richard George Read, he died in 1946, aged 46 about 6 months after coming home after he'd been recovering in Australia

Regards
Nigel
Old 29-01-14, 08:47 PM

I assume that you do know that he is on record? Here:

http://www.unithistories.com/officer...icers_R01.html
Old 30-01-14, 12:10 AM

Thanks Mike,
Yes, i supplied the website with the information i had, but I've never been able to got further than that.

I hoping someone knows about the Artillery captured in Singapore

Cheers
Nigel
Old 30-01-14, 02:40 PM

Do you know where he was living in 1939?

The officers site says that he was: "commissioned, Regiment of Royal Artillery - Territorial Army" in July 1939.

If you know his home town it could turn out that the local TA Gunners were later captured at Singapore.....
Old 30-01-14, 03:39 PM

93818 Richard George Read was taken POW at Singapore on 15th Feb 1942, I dont know if that helps?
regards
Paul L
Old 31-01-14, 12:14 AM

Default Thanks for replying

Hi Guys,
You asked where he lived, his family lived in Belvedere Kent (where he died) and his father was a RA CQMS based in Woolwich 1890 - 1915,

Thanks Paul for the capture information, at least that confirms he was taken prisoner

Regards
Nigel

I'll have to take a pic of his service cap showing the gold bullion badge
Old 13-03-14, 11:44 AM

Default Capt. QM Richard George Read RA 93818

Richard George Read was my great grandfather on my mothers side, his name is on our local War Memorial in Llanbadarn, I have been spending time researching his career recently, you are welcome to PM me, and I can share what I have
Simon
Old 13-03-14, 04:34 PM

Richard George Read was my Great Grandfather on my mothers side, I have been doing quite a bit of research about him recently, I'd be happy to share it with you. He was born in Hockley in 1899, married my Great Grandmother in 1927 in Egypt, he was there as Lance Sergeant, K Battery, Royal Horse Artillery. My Gran was born there in Egypt in 1928, they located back to Wales, where he was called up in 1939, to Towyn initially as Lt QM, he was assigned to the 118th Field Regiment which was part of the 18th Division and was sent to Singapore, where he was captured in 1942. He died in Chester Military Hospital in 1946, he is buried in Plumstead Cemetery. I'd be happy to share all the other info I have about him if you want to PM me?
Old 15-04-14, 10:36 PM

Hi Gabalfa / NigelShipp,

I have recently moved home and today was sorting through my grandad's old WW2 medals etc he left me when I came across a small box with a certificate for Capt R.G Read, RA and his 3x Burma Star medals. Additionally, I have 3x WW1 medals for a Gnr R.G Read, RA. His Service Number is on the WW1 medals as 87730, but his Long Service & Good Conduct medal is 1048845, Sjt R.G ReadRead, RA. My grandfather died 12 years ago in Aberystwyth, age 81 but I have no idea what his connection was to your Great Grandfather. I am currently serving in the British Army and appreciate family WW1/2 memorabilia and would love to get this to you.
I will wait out on a reonse from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalfa View Post
Richard George Read was my Great Grandfather on my mothers side, I have been doing quite a bit of research about him recently, I'd be happy to share it with you. He was born in Hockley in 1899, married my Great Grandmother in 1927 in Egypt, he was there as Lance Sergeant, K Battery, Royal Horse Artillery. My Gran was born there in Egypt in 1928, they located back to Wales, where he was called up in 1939, to Towyn initially as Lt QM, he was assigned to the 118th Field Regiment which was part of the 18th Division and was sent to Singapore, where he was captured in 1942. He died in Chester Military Hospital in 1946, he is buried in Plumstead Cemetery. I'd be happy to share all the other info I have about him if you want to PM me?