British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-16, 04:14 PM

Default Royal Engineers: 1982

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if there is a specific type of Anodised Aluminium Royal Engineers badge that would have been worn circa 1982?

I'm thinking Aluminium body, proper metal slider?

Thanks,
Thomas.
Old 11-08-16, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if there is a specific type of Anodised Aluminium Royal Engineers badge that would have been worn circa 1982?

Thanks,
Thomas.
There are two RE badges with brass sliders both JR GAUNT, one B'HAM the other LONDON that I can remember, there maybe a un named a/a badge in use as well. I am not sure if they were around in 1982 but I wore a Bi metal badge for many years while in the Corps. I am certain that they were worn by "older" sappers who may have been issued them. I am away from my collection and will have a look on my return home. Hope this helps?
Jerry.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 12-08-16, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Thomas.
Hi Thomas.

The Royal Engineers is one of the corps that probably has every variation of type and maker that we see in anodised aluminium. As a larger sized corps there are multiple makers over the years since the sealed pattern for the anodised aluminium cap badge. I have in my collection the following variations:-

1. All one piece construction with an unmarked slider

2. Brass slider marked JR Gaunt B.Ham (Chris Marsh has this type of slider attributed to a Queens Regt anodised badge mid 1960's).

3. Brass slider marked JR Gaunt London

4. Brass slider unmarked.

5. Brass slider marked T&S (within circles).

6. Brass slider marked T&S (no circles).

7. JR Gaunt B.Ham.

8. Firmin London.

9. W M Dowler Birmingham.

10. London Badge & Button Company (x2 die variations).

11. TKS (Toye Kenning & Spencer)

12. Toye Kenning & Spencer (x2 die variations)

13. FIRMIN.

14. FIRMIN (between diamonds)

There are also at least two version of cloth beret badge.

Badges above from 10 - 14 are later examples.

To answer your initial enquiry, I would suggest that the most appropriate for early 1980's would be either the Firmin London or the Dowler marked version. I was a Gunner throughout the 1980's and all of my initial issued anodised badges were Dowler marked examples.

Hope this assists - if not a bit long winded!

All the best

Bess
Old 12-08-16, 11:15 AM

I did forget the Turner & Simpson badges marked T&S which were both on brass and aluminium sliders.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 12-08-16, 11:29 AM

Thanks guys, basically I have bought a beret, worn by a guy in 9 sqn RE. The guy got rid of his badge and tbh I have a fair bit else from him and I'd like to get the badge correct for his time in the Falklands, he was there but not many other places with them so it'd be nice to display it period correct (basically I don't want to put a shiny brand new badge on his fairly battered beret... I also don't want to put one on thats far too new for the beret, maker wise.

Thanks for the heads up on manufacturers and types, I have a bimetal on my radar which might fit the bill, but I want to get it right (I have his webbing, brassard, and two stable belts, he was pay corps/AG attached afaik). Really nice guy.

Best,
Tom
Old 12-08-16, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Tom

if he was pay-corps attached then do you not need a RAPC badge and not an RE?

Alan
Old 12-08-16, 11:54 AM

No he said he wore RE.... I'm guessing as he was pay sergeant or some similar he may have trained with the pay corps then been assigned the RE?

Although his stable belts are RAPC.. so maybe his mind is playing tricks, or he wore it unnoficially?

Tom
Old 12-08-16, 05:51 PM

Quote:
No he said he wore RE.... I'm guessing as he was pay sergeant or some similar he may have trained with the pay corps then been assigned the RE?

Although his stable belts are RAPC.. so maybe his mind is playing tricks, or he wore it unnoficially?

Tom
Thomas
I'm with Alan here mate. I doubt he would have worn an RE badge with a RAPC stable belt. If he was badged RE he may have been a clerk or something in RHQ, but from my limited knowledge of those admin type jobs, in those days I would have expected him to be pay corps.

My opinion only mate.

All the best

Bess
Old 12-08-16, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Up to 1991 and the creation of the AGC, clerks in all regts were drawn from the regt/corps and worn their own badge. So if he was a Sqn Clerk then he was from the RE clerk trade. However RAPC were a Corps in their own right and wore their own badges and belts albeit with attached regtl accoutrements. If he was RAPC then he should have worn the PARC badge on a maroon beret if he was attached to RE Para Sqn.
Old 12-08-16, 06:52 PM

He would have been a Sgt if RAPC/AGC , that is the only post with them I know of from that corps attached to 9 Sqn. He would also have worn the blue DZ flash and Peggy as well as the maroon beret.
Paul
Old 16-08-16, 02:18 PM

Thanks guys, I have popped an AA RAPC badge on his beret and it looks stunning You guys are a mine of information!

I'm going to do a display of his webbing, etc and beret from 1982 (I bought it all at a boot fair), and I think it'll all look rather good He was a Warrant Officer (the royal coat of arms, kicking myself for not grabbing his jumpers and uniforms but I couldn't carry it all, and his badges and buttons had on the most part been cut off ).
Old 16-08-16, 03:05 PM

I was with 36 ENGR REGT at this time based at Invicta Park, Maidstone and 9 PARA SQN RE being part of the regiment but based in Rhine barracks, Aldershot, I do not remember them as having a WO1 RAPC pay clerk?
Maybe he was a SGT or SSGT at the time, 1982 and was promoted up to WO1 later in his career??
You have said that you brought a RAPC badge and as a para would only wear a maroon beret so it would be the small size badge and not the larger one.

Jerry.

JERRY
Old 18-08-16, 09:06 AM

Jerry,

Thanks, I thought it'd be the smaller one, I'm guessing in theory for the Falklands it would be blacked the same as the Engineers, after all soldier first, pay master/cashier second?

His name was Eamon Murray (I can't imagine persec being infringed as I doubt many pay masters annoyed people more than slightly short back pay ).

I am tempted to black up a pay corp badge (they're fairly common in AA) up to see how it looks for the display, as I may use his beret or my general para beret for it at different points

Best
Tom
Old 18-08-16, 02:53 PM

You can find blacked up Pay corps beret badges on e..y . Not that uncommon.