British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-14, 11:23 PM

Default 50 famous faces that served in ww2

hi all,

found this interesting.50 famous british,us and german actors,sportsmen,politicans and authors that served in ww2.

some i knew but others i did not

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-...form-wwii.html

philip
Old 09-10-14, 07:25 AM

Very good Phillip.

Interesting Patrick Moore continued his hatred for Germans for the rest of his life.

"The only romance of his life ended when his fiancée Lorna, a nurse, was killed in London in 1943 by a German bomb which struck her ambulance. Moore remained a bachelor for the rest of his life, and still held a bitter hatred for Germans 70 years later. He wrote in his 2003 autobiography that he still thought about Lorna constantly. He said, “I’ve had to visit Germany a few times during my career, and as soon as I get there I’m in enemy territory… if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down.”
Old 09-10-14, 07:42 AM

I'm with Patrick, I'd be happy to help him with a push!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Very good Phillip.

Interesting Patrick Moore continued his hatred for Germans for the rest of his life.

"The only romance of his life ended when his fiancée Lorna, a nurse, was killed in London in 1943 by a German bomb which struck her ambulance. Moore remained a bachelor for the rest of his life, and still held a bitter hatred for Germans 70 years later. He wrote in his 2003 autobiography that he still thought about Lorna constantly. He said, “I’ve had to visit Germany a few times during my career, and as soon as I get there I’m in enemy territory… if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down.”
Old 09-10-14, 03:04 PM

Uncle Fester was a glider pilot? Who knew?

On a more serious note part of the problem with current and recent Western leaders is that few, if any, have any form of military experience - otherwise they might not be so keen to expect miracles from their diminishing armed forces. And, of course, there are a couple of notable examples who took steps to avoid military service.
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 09-10-14, 04:15 PM

Denholm Elliott was an RAF navigator, before being shot down and became a POW. Michael Bentine (one of the creators of the Goons) was with RAF intelligence, and possibly MI6. Anthony Quayle was with SOE in the Balkans. Nigel Stock (a former Dr. Watson) was in India and Burma with the 14th Army as a major, I think.

David
Old 09-10-14, 04:59 PM

Jimmy Edwards (Whack-oh!) and Kenneth Wolstenholme (They think it's all over . . . .it is now!) were in bomber command.
Old 10-10-14, 12:35 AM

Didn't Jimmy Edwards fly DC3s and tow gliders, possibly for Operation 'Market Garden'?

Jack Hargreaves (Out of Town) was in the Royal Tank Regiment.

David

Last edited by David Tremain; 10-10-14 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Extra text added
Old 10-10-14, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
On a more serious note part of the problem with current and recent Western leaders is that few, if any, have any form of military experience - otherwise they might not be so keen to expect miracles from their diminishing armed forces. And, of course, there are a couple of notable examples who took steps to avoid military service.
I can think of a certain world leader who had plenty of military experience, and it didn't stop him from expecting miracles from his own diminishing armed forces long after it should have been clear to him the Second World War was over.

Military experience isn't a prerequisite for politics or government nor should it be. Brains and ability should be. That includes the wherewithal to select good advisors, and the humility to actually make efficient use of them. No one ever leads a country single-handedly, except in B-movies.

I would argue that civilian leaders with delusions of grandeur based on shallow visions of military life formed by a couple of years in the military, reserves, etc., is far more dangerous than never having served at all.
Old 10-10-14, 10:51 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Forty years ago, I was minding my own business in a pub when to my disbelief in walked Jimmy Edwards with a party of his friends. He sat down next to me and immediately opened a conversation. What an utterly charming and interesting man he was, jovial but also a real gentleman. A memory I treasure.
Old 12-10-14, 01:48 PM

Tom and Paddy Clancy of the famous ballad group"The Clancy Brothers "served in the RAF in WW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU97TGbp6pohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ZsbEpEqRY

Last edited by connaught; 01-11-14 at 05:18 AM.
Old 15-10-14, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connaught View Post
Tom and Paddy Clancy of the famous ballad group"The Clancy Brothers "served in the RAF in WW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU97TGbp6po
I didn't know that - thanks.
Old 15-10-14, 05:58 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Bill Fraser (Bootsie & Snudge / Army Game) served in the Royal Air Force Special Liaison Unit during WW2 reaching the rank of Flight Lieutenant. It was here that he met Eric Sykes. Bill Frasers sidekick, Alfie Bass served with the Middlesex Regiment as a dispatch rider.

Last edited by Charliedog012012; 15-10-14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 26-10-14, 02:13 PM

Frank "Captain Peacock" Thornton served with the RAF.