British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-12-17, 02:22 AM

Yes, many, perhaps most, of the larger stringed bugles have three lugs on the back, only seen coiled ones with two lugs. There are two different sizes of the WM coiled bugles. Also have a gilt small coiled bugle with MR in the centre. Doubtful if this means Mounted Rifles, I have always thought "Metropolitan Rifles" or Melbourne? Manchester?
The suggestion of Ox and Bucks for the floriated design is a good one but this particular badge seems to be a scarce variation. Let me know if you ever see one!
Other scarce variations I have been after for years are coiled bugles with numbers 1 - 4 in the centre and a small oak leaf between the bugle mouth and the bugle. Will have a look in the file for a picture.
Old 02-12-17, 03:14 AM

Default A few more scans

Haven't found a picture yet of the numbered coiled bugles with the oak leaf.
The smaller badge with QVC is hallmarked silver, the larger QVC one with the wreaths each side was also made with a VR cypher in the centre, looking for one of these also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugle2.jpg (58.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bugle3.jpg (70.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bugleMR.jpg (51.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bugle1.jpg (47.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-12-17, 03:45 AM

The NSW Gazette on Trove refers to tenders being called for for the supply of bugles with the numbers 1 to 4 in them if I recall correctly.
Old 02-12-17, 07:14 AM

I wouldn't discard MR as referring to Mounted Rifles. It's a good contender.

Another stringed Rifles bugle badge (4th Bn LVR) however I may have been diddled with this badge, not being wiser when I purchased it. Brass slider painted black.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LVR.jpg (79.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-12-17, 10:41 AM

The late Hugh King had many unidentified badges including a number of bugle horn types, there are are articles in Crown Imperial and the Military Historical Society Bulletins he wrote showing both badges he was seeking to identify and those he had identified.

It did occur to me that the descriptions of officers badges in Dress Regulations 1900 for the Light Infantry Regiments might be a way of describing the different types of horns.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”