British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-17, 10:53 AM

Default bugle cap badge

Would anyone kindly confirm the nomenclature and time frame for this cap badge - brass, square knot.

Thanks

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buglebadge.jpg (30.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 29-11-17, 11:40 AM

GTB,

I would call it a strung bugle horn. Is that a wm device in the centre of the ribbons ?

Always helps if you show a picture of the back of a badge.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-11-17, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
GTB,

I would call it a strung bugle horn. Is that a wm device in the centre of the ribbons ?

Peter
Peter
Thanks for your feedback. Actually, by nomenclature I mean who would have worn this badge, eg. Light Infantry, Rifles, etc. and when. It is cap badge size.

No, the wm is or appears to be residue of solder. Originally, the badge appears to have had a trio of lugs, and some cretin rather than leave well enough alone, decided to attempt soldering a thin strip of copper in lieu of a slider.

Badge appears to be quite old. It is Brass, not gilding metal and has a beautiful aged patina together with a century of accumulated 'grime' at back.

Unable to take good focussed pictures at moment. Need to get the hang of my smartphone

GTB
Old 29-11-17, 03:12 PM

3 lugs would suggest a collar badge to me.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-11-17, 05:48 PM

Quote:
3 lugs would suggest a collar badge to me.

P.B.
I anticipated you would think so, but I did say cap size (see attached for comparison). The offending "slider" appears in background of badge

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buglehorn.jpg (32.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 29-11-17, 06:15 PM

GTB,

Not perhaps the case with this badge but for most regiments the 1902 Officers Service Dress bronze collar badges were the same size as the cap badge but in facing pairs.

( This badge might even be a Rifle Volunteer item )

Peter

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 29-11-17 at 06:27 PM.
Old 30-11-17, 08:07 AM

Default Impossible to be quite sure!

I like to know more about bugle badges, both slung and coiled types, and have quite a few variations. I have always thought of them as generic Rifle Vol cap and pouch badges worn right around the empire. There are many other varieties and sizes besides the ones show in the scan, including slung bugles with QVC, some coiled bugles with numbers 1-4, also both types in stgsil. The tiny ones in my scan were apparently worn on a boss, the largest is 65mm high and apparently a HP.
I have considered putting together an album, never tried to list anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugleBadges.jpg (36.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 30-11-17, 08:16 AM

Default Bugle badge wanted!

After posting the other reply, I found this other quite different bugle badge variation in my picture file, very strange decoration. If anyone has one spare, please let me know.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugle.jpg (61.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 30-11-17, 08:44 AM

Thanks Peter and Kingsley,

I suspect my badge could be a Victorian Rifles shako badge however cannot trace in Kipling & King, so it may also be a pouch badge. I believe the rear fitments will be a contributing factor in deciding.

Kingsley, what do you mean by "stgsil"?

GTB
Old 30-11-17, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
After posting the other reply, I found this other quite different bugle badge variation in my picture file, very strange decoration. If anyone has one spare, please let me know.
Thanks.
The decoration on the bugle is a little similar to the DLIs a possible link to them as a parent corps?
Old 30-11-17, 09:43 AM

Quote:
GTB,

Peter
I make a distinction within my collectors notes between the types of suspension on stringed bugles.
The type with cord suspension I refer to as stringed, the type with ribbon suspension I call "beribboned" which I'm sure isn't the correct term but it acts a simple shorthand in lieu of a photo.
Is there a proper term for the ribbon rather than cord variety of suspension on a badge?
Old 30-11-17, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I make a distinction within my collectors notes between the types of suspension on stringed bugles.
The type with cord suspension I refer to as stringed, the type with ribbon suspension I call "beribboned" which I'm sure isn't the correct term but it acts a simple shorthand in lieu of a photo.
Is there a proper term for the ribbon rather than cord variety of suspension on a badge?
A cursory look at heraldic sites furnished the following information that my badge would be described as a bugle stringed (not 'strung') and garnished. No difference whether cord or ribbon, but I must admit my search was not exhaustive. In fact, I omitted the important factor of the Tassels!

GTB

Last edited by GTB; 30-11-17 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 02:37 AM

GTB, in reply to your question, Stgsil means hallmarked sterling silver. I have two different sizes of high quality hallmarked stringed bugles with QVC above.
All the variations, including the QVC crowned ones, were worn as shako badges by rifle vols as early as the 1860s. Maybe one day we might find some definite information of particular regiments.
Attached a few more scans from my picture file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cameronians shako.jpg (31.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg kepi1.jpg (38.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg pouchTas.jpg (45.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-12-17, 06:43 AM

kingsley,

Wonderful items. Re your scanned list of bugle badges, would any have more than 2 lugs at back (not referring to the smaller badges)?

GTB
Old 01-12-17, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The decoration on the bugle is a little similar to the DLIs a possible link to them as a parent corps?
Although similar to the DLI I would say as an emblem these two bugle horns match more closely form used by the Ox and Bucks LI, in terms of the floreat decoration round the bell of the bugle horn, as opposed to the simpler zig-zag of the DLI. The wider mouth of the bell, tipped toward the viewer is common to both the Ox & Bucks and the DLI, as is the plain trefoil bow and tassels of the cord/string/ribbon.