British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-15, 07:41 PM

Default RRF

I bought mine with the chrome/Wm clip from a stand that the RRF had at The Royal Tournament that was held at Earl's Court in London, it must have been late 1970's ??
Old 30-05-15, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
http://www.regimentalbadges.com/r-re...dge_item_10556

A previously unrecorded slidered JR Gaunt London version.
The J R GAUNT LONDON slidered version, along with the other three pattern of fixings that I know of / have:

I have them as:

1st pattern the spigot & washer,
2nd pattern the brass fitting,
3rd pattern the folding aluminium tab,
4th pattern the brass slider.

The slider, the most sensible version of this horrible badge - anybody know where that comes in - the 4th pattern or does it displace one or more of the others?

The badges all appear to be the same (I only show the 3rd & the slidered pattern fronts) other than the fittings - therefore all produced by JR Gaunt?

Having discovered a version of the badge with white metal fittings, shorter arms which are folded over at the ends, Im inclined to think that this would have been the 4th pattern, supersceded by a 5th, the slidered version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slidered Pattern.jpg (38.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Slidered Pattern rev.jpg (29.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 1st pattern rev.jpg (39.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd pattern reveattachment[1].jpg (44.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 3rd pattern rev.jpg (57.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (26.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 06-11-17 at 02:56 PM. Reason: "fifth fittings" added.
Old 27-10-17, 08:22 PM

Realised I'd suggested the RRF black plastics were made by Gaunt.
All four versions of this badge appear to come from the same mould - it seems likely that whoever produced the plastic badges bought in the sliders for what I take to be the fourth pattern of the badge from Gaunt?
Old 06-11-17, 02:49 PM

The fifth fittings variation I've come across - more sensible than the other ones with the exception of the one with a slider (which is at least set in the plastic) but still glued on to the same plastic moulding that appears to have been taken from a cast of an anodised aluminium badge given the slightly out of kilter central design which I don't think Ive ever seen mounted properly central & upright on an anod. ally badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (33.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (26.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (12.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-11-17, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The fifth fittings variation I've come across - more sensible than the other ones with the exception of the one with a slider (which is at least set in the plastic) but still glued on to the same plastic moulding that appears to have been taken from a cast of an anodised aluminium badge given the slightly out of kilter central design which I don't think Ive ever seen mounted properly central & upright on an anod. ally badge.
Is it similar to the one with the brass fitting with the nipple but glued instead ?
Old 06-11-17, 05:43 PM

All of the fittings on the badges are glued apart from the slidered version.
The slider is moulded into the badge (unlike the LI black plastic which is less substantial affair & glued on).
Old 17-11-17, 01:57 PM

Chaps,

I have the 3 usual examples of this badge (washer, brass lug and alloy strip). Are there any other examples with the Gaunt marked slider out there? It seems a shoddy product to have originated in the Gaunt stable.

It would appear that they were sold via the PRI shop. One may have expected it to have a blank slider.

The LI example is similarly tatty in appearance.

Just a thought chaps.

All the best

Bess
Old 17-01-24, 04:50 PM

A version of the badge with folding brass sheet tabs embedded in the plastic as per the fittings on WWII Plastic economy cap badges.
I haven't compared the front of the badge to the ones with different fittings, to see if it's from the same mould, but it has a sharper finish to it than others I've seen or have and as with them appears to have been cast from an anod al badge with the usual not quite central and/or vertical crest. Could've been cast from a new metal badge I suppose but there are black finished versions of those readily available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240117_135030~2.jpg (45.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20240117_135127~2.jpg (59.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20240117_135039~2.jpg (40.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20240117_135117~2.jpg (68.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20240117_135054~2.jpg (34.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20240117_135103~2.jpg (32.1 KB, 0 views)