British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-08, 02:15 PM

Another early fifties hand-cut badge, apparently they cut down the square arm badges to use as beret badges? Only cost me 20 quid, so worth a punt.

NZ SAS Maroon top:

Tom
Old 24-04-08, 02:16 PM

Modern issue SAS beret badge:

WW2 SAS Beret and badge:

Atb,
Tom
Old 24-04-08, 05:21 PM

You forgot this one.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 24-04-08, 05:25 PM

Thats the one featured in the 'big badge book' isn't it. BTW, from what I've heard certain parts of the book are total rubbish, especially the SBS bits (one of my mates is a SC and he confirmed that that section is almost all nonsense).

Must admit, I'm sceptical that badge would have ever made it through QC, and I'm sure the troopers themselves wouldn't have been happy having a defective hatbadge.

Tom
Old 24-04-08, 06:47 PM

Sorry to say that QC does not exist, and the badge was issued to at least some (hold your cursor over the image for a sec). Also I have had my hands on a well worn one, although I have not managed to pocket it yet. As for the book mentioned, you have to have one, just to say you have one. If you can not afford the book then follow the column in the "magazine" of the British Army.

I have a paper some where that has a bad copy of the picture of 21 on the 1953 Coronation Parade wearing the No1 Dress Cap with the M&M badge and no collar badges. Also the same uniform being worn for the Jubilee in 1958.

True or false;
None Sabre members of 21 (those on probation/sellection) wore the aa badge in a normal Navy Blue beret until accepted?
This was later replaced by an embroidered M&M badge for the same reason?
Old 24-04-08, 07:05 PM

False, however I do own a sand beret with mars and minerva badge on it (was given same spiel by seller, but for a tenner I risked it, all my berets barring 2 have cost me less than 20 quid each,. I'm a little Bargain hunter :-) ). I asked my friends (Capt 21 SAS during the 1950-60s, Malaya and Borneo) and a Sgt 21 SAS 1983 (? year after embassy siege) until the mid 90s about it and both had never heard of such a thing.

I have the book, and it is filled with alterations, the SBS guy was quite disparaging about it saying the guy had it 'all wrong'.

Sadly, I agree QC does not exist, I certainly know it would never have passed muster a few years ago, and havn't managed to obtain one yet.

ATB,
Tom
Old 24-04-08, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
I have a paper some where that has a bad copy of the picture of 21 on the 1953 Coronation Parade wearing the No1 Dress Cap with the M&M badge and no collar badges. Also the same uniform being worn for the Jubilee in 1958.
That photo (or a proper copy) is I believe hanging on the wall in the bar where I have drunk several times.

ATB,
Tom
Old 24-04-08, 07:46 PM

Sorry I neglected to add that the M&M was worn on the sand beret not the Navy Blue one, but for the same reasons as before and not too long ago.

You may have noticed the large amount of aa SAS cap badges around, these were made to replace the stocks that had been issued from Bicester, and then sold off. Stange how there are over 300 British Army units demanding that badge. I may just ask how many went to 21!
Old 25-04-08, 08:39 AM

I must admit that for an elite unit of a few hundred men, there seem to be enough badges around to give them 50 each :-)

I'll post a pic of the beret's when I get home :-)

ATB,
Tom
Old 09-02-14, 09:25 PM

Default Metal badge worn in Malaya

There was a metal badge provided to British SAS in Malaya for the coronation. I've seen the picture and spoken to a vet who remembers being issued and wearing it.
There's also a picture of some guys wearing a metal badge in Malaya from the front of a newspaper from Kuala lumpar.
Regards
Jon
Old 10-02-14, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Thats the one featured in the 'big badge book' isn't it. BTW, from what I've heard certain parts of the book are total rubbish, especially the SBS bits (one of my mates is a SC and he confirmed that that section is almost all nonsense).

Must admit, I'm sceptical that badge would have ever made it through QC, and I'm sure the troopers themselves wouldn't have been happy having a defective hatbadge.

Tom
Please enlighten me - what is the "big badge book"? Mike
Old 10-02-14, 08:39 AM

That poorly made badge was issued. I've one from the stores and was given it by the storeman who had cut it from a beret.
Old 13-02-14, 10:43 PM

Default metal badges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
I've seen photos of David Sterling and Paddy Mayne wearing metal badges on their khaki SD caps taken during the war. I assume they must have been brass.
hi,

Could you find those pictures, please? I have never seen them.

Cheers,

Johan