British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-17, 05:40 PM

Default Any Info on this Queens Own Corps Guides button?

I picked this up and was wondering if anyone had anything similar. It's flat 20mm in diameter with no backmark. Looks silver plated?. From a quick search i can see that it was a British Indian army corps but was not sure what sort of date could be placed on it. Would it be an early or later button to this corps and would it be a officer's mess waiter button?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qog.jpg (79.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 25-04-17, 07:14 PM

Cool Queens Own Corps Guides

The Queens Own Corps of Guides button has a Victorian crown, so probably worn up to 1901-02 and maybe even after that.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 26-04-17 at 08:18 PM.
Old 25-04-17, 07:47 PM

IMHO this would better be posted in "Indian Badges" (below the caption Other Commonwealth Military Insignia). That might be the place where the people knowing more about (British) Indian are lurking.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 25-04-17, 08:03 PM

Poulsom's book on Indian Army buttons gives The Queen's Own Corps of Guides as existing under various different titles (some seven in all) from 1875 to 1947. Prior to 1875 they were known as the Corps of Guides, Frontier Force.

Given the Victorian crown I think Rob is right regarding the dates, so 1875 on and possibly well after 1902 given that some units retained the Victorian crown because of their "Queen's Own" status.

Poulsom does not, as far as I can see, illustrate or describe this pattern of button. According to him the unit wore plain silver buttons of various types over the years 1860 to 1947.

Your button may be a blazer button or indeed as you suggest an officer's mess waiter's button. Or, of course, a hitherto unknown official pattern.

Roger
Old 26-04-17, 05:43 PM

Looks like a few different sizes of buttons being worn on this 1878 Queens own corps of guides officer photo. Need to try to look at the original and see if i can zoom in. Didn't realise they were "An elite regiment, the Guides were famous for being the first unit in the Indian or British Armies to dress in khaki"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc.jpg (84.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 26-04-17, 06:42 PM

An excellent photo. At this time (1878) their full title was "The Queen's Own Corps of Guides, Punjab Frontier Force".

I can see at least two, possibly three, different styles of tunics/jackets which may account for the different size of button. According to Poulsom's book though the buttons they should have been wearing at this period were "Tunic: Plain. Ball. Silver" and "Tunic Pocket: Plain. Half Ball. Silver". No mention of different buttons for different tunics.

Perhaps some of the officers are from regiments other than the Guides, just visiting for "Tiffin"!

Roger