British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-16, 07:27 PM

Default WWII Formation Signs

Hey gang,
I've posted an album of what I hope are genuine examples of British formation signs from the second world war. I'd appreciate it if you would take a look and post your comments, pro or con. Are there any clinkers? Any unusual pieces?
Old 22-06-16, 09:17 PM

Gidday Dob

You have some real beauts there , I hope to add more in time that were involved in specific campaigns for my fledgling Brit WWII collection.

Nice one!!

Phill
Old 24-06-16, 10:29 AM

From a quick glance the only one I might have concerns with was the Chindits patch. perhaps posting better pics of each patch on its own might be of use.

Jerry
Old 24-06-16, 02:00 PM

Thanks for looking. The Chindits patch is one of the badges from the blanket/lining collection that came out of the Peter Francis sale not too long ago. There was a fair amount of discussion on the Forum at the time. The consensus seemed to be that the badges were authentic. It certainly looks good to me...
Old 24-06-16, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobw View Post
Thanks for looking. The Chindits patch is one of the badges from the blanket/lining collection that came out of the Peter Francis sale not too long ago. There was a fair amount of discussion on the Forum at the time. The consensus seemed to be that the badges were authentic. It certainly looks good to me...
I would be happy with the 3 Indian Div/Special Force/Chindits sign (as well as all of the others). The vast majority of Chindits' signs made 1943-45 were hand embroidered and came in a countless number of variations. I would be happier if I could see the reverse, but given its provenance I believe that it's a contemporary piece. As is well known, probably 1000s of these sign were purchased by REMFs in the major garrisons and cities of India and worn in order to impress the female and/or gullible. Conversely at least one Chindit Bde Comd (16 Inf Bde) thought that it was "too gaudy, too American" and refused to wear it. Mike
Old 24-06-16, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
...at least one Chindit Bde Comd (16 Inf Bde) thought that it was "too gaudy, too American" and refused to wear it. Mike
Ain't it the truth!
Old 24-06-16, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
The vast majority of Chindits' signs made 1943-45 were hand embroidered and came in a countless number of variations. I would be happier if I could see the reverse, but given its provenance I believe that it's a contemporary piece. As is well known, probably 1000s of these sign were purchased by REMFs in the major garrisons and cities of India and worn in order to impress the female and/or gullible. Conversely at least one Chindit Bde Comd (16 Inf Bde) thought that it was "too gaudy, too American" and refused to wear it. Mike
Ironically, Merrill's Marauders, the American long-range penetration group in Burma, was so ignored by higher headquarters that no insignia for them was authorized until well after the fact. Even the patch that was produced after the unit was disbanded remains fairly hard to get...
Old 24-06-16, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobw View Post
Fair enough, though I still think better pics help if your asking for opinions.

Jerry
Old 24-06-16, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Fair enough, though I still think better pics help if your asking for opinions.
Jerry,
Here are some close-ups of the badge in question. Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chindit1.jpg (118.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Chindit2.jpg (120.3 KB, 13 views)