British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-16, 10:07 PM

Default Early Vol's Button For ID..?

Hi Gents,

Well hot on the heals of my 'Carmarthanshire' debacle, I have another mystery I need assistance with.

This lovely early button was purchase simply because I liked it. It's a nice early gilt open back by Charles Jennens London, the front is CVR atop a 3. My assumption is that the VR is Volunteer Rifles but beyond that..

I can't find any reference in my (limited) library, so would appreciate any ideas?

Cheer,

Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002 3.jpg (56.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (57.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (55.6 KB, 19 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 23-06-16, 07:25 AM

Hello Roy

A very nice, early button, certainly pre 1832ish which is when the 'Charles Jennens London' backmark changed to 'Jennens and Co London'. The open back construction could put it in the 1800-1830 period, so early Napoleonic volunteers is most likely.

As the button is this early I think it would be unusual if the 'VR' is for Volunteer Rifles. There were a few rifle volunteer units during this very early period but, like the rifle itself, they were few and far between. Much more likely is that the 'VR' is for 'Volunteer Regiment' with the 'C' being the local area. Of course, it could be that 'CV' is the area (ie Chilton Vale Regiment - just made that up!)

These early volunteer buttons are fascinating but so little is known about them and they can be very difficult to identify. This is a good website for identifying some early (and some later) buttons - http://asahelena.wix.com/militarybut...tons-c-d/c1wtx - but after a quick look I didn't spot your button there.

If you get the chance, Dixon Pickup would be the one to ask.

Roger
Old 23-06-16, 10:45 AM

Hi Roy and Roger,

A very nice button - you do certainly have a good eye for spotting these little gems.

Not able to help much I am afraid.

I have had a look through my very limited number of books on the subject and there are three possibilities that stand out from the early Volunteers (circa early 1800s).

Cambridgeshire had 4 Battalions (1st to 4th)
Caithness Regiment of Infantry had 3 Battalions (1st to 3rd)
Carmathenshire Infantry had 5 Battalions (1st to 5th)

(N.B. I have made the assumption that the "3" indicates that it is a "3rd" Battalion, which in my thinking would indicate a large Geographic region or Town/City for it to fill at least 3 Battalions. I have probably got that wrong ).

However, I should point out these are only possibilities. Somebody with better reference books or knowledge may well be able to give more possibilities or the correct answer.

Also, these early Volunteer units seem to change their names frequently or be known under slightly different titles depending upon which book or source you look in.

Good luck with the identification.

Cheers

Ian
Old 23-06-16, 01:46 PM

Hi Chaps,

Thanks so much for all this great information. Although not conclusively identified as yet, I found all the information and comments really has helped me understand this button a little bette and add some well need perspective to its context.

I will drop Dixon a line and see if he has any thoughts.

Thank you Ian for those possibles, a really great start and this does help to at least make some associations with units all be it tentative.

These early button are really an exciting part of our hobby, aside from forcing us to stretch, learn and discover, it really is a poorly understood area of our history. Gosh can you imagine the chap who wore this and what he would think now knowing we had no idea of his service, unit or even location.

I will update as soon as I hear anything.

Cheers, Roy.

Old 23-06-16, 10:04 PM

Hi Gents,

There has been a suggestion that this is Canadian!

Any thoughts.?

Cheers,

Roy.

Old 24-06-16, 09:05 AM

Hello Roy

If it is Canadian, then it is an early one and the only reference material I have to early Canadian military buttons is an article by Rene Chartrand that appeared in the British Button Society Journal a few years ago.

Part 1 dealt with buttons dating from 1790 to 1850 and your button is not illustrated - doesn't mean it isn't Canadian, of course! As with all these early buttons there is a lot of info to be discovered yet.

Illustrated in the article are buttons for the Royal Canadian Volunteers dating from around 1795-1802 (your button would fit nicely into that period) but whilst the initials are correct, they are used in the order 'RCV' rather than 'CVR' as on your button. One button is actually 'RCV' over '2', for the 2nd Battalion, Royal Canadian Volunteers, so could yours be 3rd Battalion Canadian.....V.....R......?

Sorry I wasn't able to be more positive.

Roger
Old 24-06-16, 01:25 PM

Hi Roger,

Very interesting!

Thank you for sharing those details.

The possible 3rd CVR sounds feasible. Can I ask if there are any images of the 2nd CVR from that title and if so could you post a scan?

It would be nice to have a visual reference to put aside this button.

Cheerio,

Roy.

Old 26-06-16, 05:44 PM

Hi Gents,

I heard back from a Canadian friend of mine and he seems convinced there is nothing that would suggest a Canadian connection here.

So for now at least it looks like we may be back to the possibles mentioned by Ian in post #3.

Cheerio,

Roy.