British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-07-17, 04:16 PM

Default unidentified naval button

found in a junk shop, Simons Town SA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0398.jpg (53.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 26-07-17, 06:09 PM

Hi Tony

It is possible that this is a button for the Admiralty Dredging Service. This consisted of civilian manned vessels either owned or on charter to the Admiralty. The Dredging Service was originally part of the Admiralty Works Department. It later became part of the Civil Engineer-in-Chiefs Department.

These buttons turn up fairly often. I have seen VQC examples with both an upright anchor and a sloping anchor. I have also seen King's Crown examples. So far no-one has been able to positively identify them but it is highly likely that they are linked to the Dredging Service.

Pete
Old 27-07-17, 07:02 AM

It has been discussied in an earlier thread:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=42185
Old 27-07-17, 08:12 AM

Default question aswered.

thank you gentlemen. admiralty dockyard it is. Simons Town fitting in lovely.
On both threads after being advised to post under naval, cheers
Old 27-07-17, 08:37 AM

I do not agree with naming this button Admiralty Dockyard.

The proper name is Royal Dockyard or Royal Navy Dockyard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_Dockyard
Old 27-07-17, 02:09 PM

I agree with Btns! Though the appropriate name for dockyards was Royal Dockyard or H.M. Dockyard.

No-one has said that this is an Admiralty Dockyard button or that the AD stands for Admiralty Dockyard. I have NEVER come across any buttons for Admiralty Dockyards. Who would wear them? People working within the dockyard were/are civilians and don't wear a uniform and never have done.

It was only those civilian personnel employed afloat that wore a uniform - and even then only the officers. This includes such organisations as the Admiralty Dredging Service, the Admiralty Coaling Service and later the Yardcraft Service and Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service.

The only other uniformed civiians employed in the dockyards were the dockyard police and they had their own distinctive police uniforms and buttons.

I must emphasise again - there has never been a uniform or button for Admiralty Dockyard employees. People are often too quick to attribute suitable, convenient names to lettered naval buttons without considering who would actually need them or a reason for their existence.

Sorry about the rant!

Pete
Old 27-07-17, 02:45 PM

Default button

I have found the old thread, where Milmed mentions a cap badge with the same lettering, he hailed from South Africa. Maybe just a coincidence or something local to HM Dockyards in SA. Sorry for opening such a can of worms
Old 27-07-17, 05:47 PM

Thank you for the rant Guzzman.

I am so fed up with these invented names.
Debunking long established fancy names takes forever.
Old 27-07-17, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonmon View Post
I have found the old thread, where Milmed mentions a cap badge with the same lettering, he hailed from South Africa. Maybe just a coincidence or something local to HM Dockyards in SA. Sorry for opening such a can of worms
Yes I had a QVC naval cap badge with AD either side of anchor and this was found in Cape Town back in the 1980's. In my opinion it also had nothing to do with the Dockyard. My thoughts at the time was Admiralty Division or Department but Admiralty Dredging does fit very comfortably with me.

Steven
Old 27-07-17, 09:11 PM

'War Department' and 'Admiralty' are always spoken about, I don't think I have seen 'Admiralty Department' used before. Would it even be a correct term?

I would like to say that this button is, as already stated above, not anything to do with the police.
Old 28-07-17, 06:48 AM

Thanks for your comments everyone and, once again, sorry about the rant. Special thanks to Btns. You are so right about how difficult it is to debunk the myths that keep going around about the origins of badges and buttons. You often feel that you are banging your head against a brick wall and that no-one wants to listen simply because the myth suits them.

One of my personal dislikes that often appears concerns the First World War metal Royal Navy Chaplains lapel badge - the number of times you hear that it was a cap badge worn by chaplains serving with the Royal Naval Division!

The Navy seems to be very prone to these sort of myths. Any sort of badge or button with a foul anchor is always assumed to be Royal Navy - you only have to look at the so-called 'Royal Navy' buttons that appear on e-bay. The presence of a crown only makes things worse. Yet there were dozens of yacht clubs around the world which had crowns and foul anchors on their buttons.

As we have seen above, the presence of letters only serves to complicate the matter!

Solving these mysteries is part of the pleasure of collecting naval buttons. It certainly isn't easy and there are few places you can go for information. Even institutions such as the National Maritime Museum aren't much help. If you look at the buttons, for instance, in their on-line collections you will see many buttons well-known to collectors which are incorrectly identified or simply listed as unknown. It's the same with their RN badges.

It is often only the diligent research of collectors over many years which finally identifies these items. And then you face the uphill task of trying to convince everyone else that you know what it is!

And the 'AD' buttons aren't only found in South Africa (though they do seem to turn up there rather often). I have found a couple in the UK. They only seem to exist with the QVC and the King's Crown. I have never seen a Queen's Crown example. This would also fit in with the dates for the Admiralty Dredging Service.

Finally, if you haven't got a sense of humour don't start collecting naval buttons!

Pete
Old 28-07-17, 05:07 PM

thanks guzzman, as an ex rnr stoker, don't get stressed, go on the raz. or as the saying goes, you can't crack me I'm a rubber duck
Old 28-07-17, 05:48 PM

Hello Pete

Just wanted to say how much I agree with btns that your 'rant' was well justified!

Far too often people (especially sellers on ebay these days) go into print that certain initials mean just what they say, when all too often it just happens to be a convenient match of letters to words. Once it happens it gets repeated so often until it becomes accepted fact.

A rant like yours from time to time brings us all back down to earth!

Roger
Old 28-07-17, 09:01 PM

Hi fonmon. I know just what you mean - been there myself! If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined, all part of life in a blue suit, etc ...

In South Wales myself at the moment. Finding that the excellent Welsh beer helps with the rants!

Pete
Old 29-07-17, 01:02 AM

lils has gone, don't know about the Avondale, but my favourite is still the dolphin