British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-09, 09:28 AM

The offical newspaper of the Imperial Camel Corp featuring the ''fern'' badge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nds 025.jpg (35.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 15-07-09, 09:39 AM

Added a comparison of NZ and UK badges. The shoulder title is a cast copy.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=223
Old 15-07-09, 07:31 PM

Thanks for that Shaun ,

The NZ and English camel badges are more similar than i had imagined.Possibly made in the same Egyptian workshop?.Or at least copied from the same design.

Cheers Iain D
Old 15-07-09, 08:30 PM

I heard they took a UK badge and modified it then cast the rest off that themselves. That is why the NZ badges are so crappy......
Old 16-07-09, 07:35 PM

The last theory that the NZ camel badge is modified and copied from the British one sounds about right.The NZ one seems to be slightly smaller ,and the cast/sandcast badges shrink from their original dies .No doubt the NZ camel badge isn't the prettiest,but its still iconic.
They were not however widely worn,as with the fern badges.Sniff has told me that their were more fern collars than fern hat badges(he estimates only 6 hat badges) but you can assume the collars were worn in conjunction with regimental cap badges,as most troopers in the NZICC wore their regimental cap badges.
Old 21-01-12, 06:52 AM

Very few portraits of troopers wearing the NZ camel Corp badge exist and they are probably rarer than the badge itself .This is probably why the badge holds an aura of mystique for New Zealand badge collectors.I have been told several theories that the badge was a momemtoe or souvineer badge produced after the end of WW1 as a token of service in that unit.

Hopefully this photo dispells any of those theories as it proves that this badge was worn by New Zealand soldiers on active service.Now whether it was worn while in the field has yet to be proved,as most of the photo's taken of the NZ camel companies in theatre were taken with inferior camera's and are of low quality.The search goes on.But in all probability it was worn in the field by some members of the 15 and 16th companies of the Imperial Camel Corps

Here is Signaller Frederick Woods ,7/1158,15th company ,NZ Imperial Camel Corps,Egypt,4-5-1917.

Several months after the formation of the unit.

Cheers Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img107.jpg (55.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg img108.jpg (62.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg img107_crop.jpg (4.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg img107_crop_crop.jpg (1.0 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by pukman; 21-01-12 at 06:15 PM.
Old 28-01-12, 06:15 AM

Iain, fantastic picture, especially as many have spent countless hours researching and writting about New Zealands 15th & 16th camel jockeys, but none have produced an actual period photo of a NZ camel badge being worn

Sadly as you know some bad mistakes have been made with the camel section of Geoffs new price book, perhaps you should send him some corrections
Old 01-07-14, 02:00 AM

Here is a picture to ponder .A postcard which has been copied from a box brownie photograph(hence the lack of clarity) ,Priinted by the Royal Studio ,44 Karangahape Rd ,Auckland .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAMEL CORPS 001_crop.jpg (47.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 20-08-14, 11:07 PM

I stumbled upon the NZMR website by chance before seeing this thread. What an awesome site! I've always been fascinated with the troopers & their endeavour's. It will be a focus of mine to obtain their badges for sure. I will definately "lean on" you resident Kiwi's to learn more if you don't mind.
Old 23-11-14, 09:46 PM

The National Army Museum ( New Zealand) has released over 9000 photographs of it's collection ,online .nam.recollect.co.nz

There are two groups photo's, in the collection , of 15th company ICC soldiers ,that I believe that one individual in each, is wearing the unofficial NZ Camel Corps cap badge ,in theatre .

Obviously the photo's ,unofficially taken with box brownies are not of high quality ,but the outline of the badge is evident(to me at least)

The photo's in the collection are of higher definition ,so you might want to view them to make an opinion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11402-max.jpg (57.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 11582-max.jpg (50.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by pukman; 23-11-14 at 10:07 PM.
Old 29-12-14, 06:54 AM

Hi Pukman. I noted you mentioned Shaun's passing in another thread. Big loss to the Badge Collectors generally. I was looking here for some mention of his death, having meant to do so months ago.

There was a Camel Corps cap badge sold on TM recently. Do you know anything about that? I had it on watch but missed the closing because of pressure of work. What do you anticipate the value of them as currently?

Cheers

Brian
Old 29-12-14, 07:54 AM

Hi Brian,

I know there is a tribute thread to Shaun on this site somewhere ,and as you say a big loss to the militaria collecting fraternity here in NZ .

The only Camel Corp badge that I have seen on Trade Me lately was a copy badge .It sold for $135 NZ .The genuine NZ Camel corp badges I have seen sell on internet auction sites or in personal trades I know(since about 2007) ranged between $1350- $850. .One of the rarest NZ WW1 badges .

Cheers Iain
Old 29-12-14, 09:26 PM

Hi Iain,
Thanks for your response. My wife reminded me this morning that she read the tribute to Shaun from this site earlier in the year. He and I had been trading in furniture for the early part of the year, I think it was part of his retirement scheme. As many others will have done, it was great to catch up with him when visiting in the old winery. The sort of conversations which would have been great to record because of their detail.

I did see that copy you mentioned. However, if memory is correct the badge I recall was said to be an original and went for reserve (around 8 to 900) without any contesting bids. Please keep me in mind if you become aware of any for sale in the future.

All the best,

Brian
Old 27-04-17, 08:48 AM

Why all of a sudden ,do two camels with a short neck ,and north to south lugs appear in the same week ?.Real or fake ?

I have an original .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 584947156.jpg (34.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 581255478.jpg (95.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 27-04-17, 10:45 PM

Excellent site and I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the Australian Camel badges ?

Cheers