British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-12-07, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default Surrey Yeomanry Enamel badge

I recently purchased one of these Surrey Yeomanrycap badges in gilding metal and red enamel. It is the smaller size compared to the full size g/m one I have already.

The question I have is can any one date its wear? I presume that it is an ORs badge as K&K say but for wear with what dress? Blue patrols perhaps?

Thanks

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC240019.JPG (18.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PC240020.JPG (18.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg PC240021.JPG (75.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 25-12-07, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
I recently purchased one of these Surrey Yeomanrycap badges in gilding metal and red enamel. It is the smaller size compared to the full size g/m one I have already.

The question I have is can any one date its wear? I presume that it is an ORs badge as K&K say but for wear with what dress? Blue patrols perhaps?

Thanks

Alan
I think it's later rather than the 'normal/common' pattern as the size is as the w/m version which I think was post WW1..Neither of these are in KK Vol1 but are in Vol2.
Old 25-12-07, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Keith,

Many thanks. I dug out my w/m beret sized and they are the same size. I was wondering whether they were pre or post WW2.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC250025.JPG (76.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 19-12-13, 08:23 AM

Default Surrey Yeomanry

Upon seeing the attached ebay advert I recognised this is yet another badge I know nothing about [mutterings of 'nothing new there'].

Using coloured enamel on a badge is unusual in the British Army, but when it is done it is usually carried out by a craftsman. This badge doesn't exhibit the usual level of skill normally attributed to this sort of badge.

It doesn't feature in the post-war List of Changes, but IF it is an officers' badge I wouldn't expect it to.

Can anyone provide anything of substance to prove the veracity of this item?

Thanks, Stephen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAP-BADGES...item3f2dbba87a
Old 19-12-13, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

It's in K&K so Hugh King thought it ok. I would halve the asking price however. That dealer has very, very high prices.
Old 19-12-13, 09:21 AM

In the 1970s a father of a school friend of mine served with the Surrey Yeomanry or 263rd (Surrey Yeomanry, Queen Mary's) Field Regiment, Royal Artillery (TA) to give them their correct title at the time.

As a result I acquired a complete set of Surrey Yeomanry badges including the example shown. So the badge was worn at some point by the regiment although even at the time I acquired it I could not establish when and by who (soldiers don't often remember such fine collecting points) although I got the impression it was an ORs cap badge rather than an officers.

Jon
Old 19-12-13, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
In the 1970s a father of a school friend of mine served with the Surrey Yeomanry or 263rd (Surrey Yeomanry, Queen Mary's) Field Regiment, Royal Artillery (TA) to give them their correct title at the time.

As a result I acquired a complete set of Surrey Yeomanry badges including the example shown. So the badge was worn at some point by the regiment although even at the time I acquired it I could not establish when and by who (soldiers don't often remember such fine collecting points) although I got the impression it was an ORs cap badge rather than an officers.

Jon
Having served in 298 (Surrey Yeomanry, Queen Mary's) Fd Regt RA(TA) 1959-60 I asked about this badge which I had seen in a WW2 veteran's small collection. He said it was worn pre-War (1930s). But Surrey Yeomen were keen on the red backing - this is the beret badge I was issued and wore in 1959/60 (news of the late King's death was slow getting to Surrey).
Yeo.Surrey Yeo.03.jpg
Old 19-12-13, 11:02 AM

Default Surrey Yeomanry

Thank you gentlemen. As it is probably pre-war that explains its absence from List of Changes as a new issue, but it isn't shown as obsolete either. I suspect therefore it must have been withdrawn before/during WW2, or was an unofficial item.

Another query satisfactorily answered. Thank you.

Stephen.
Old 19-12-13, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Having served in 298 (Surrey Yeomanry, Queen Mary's) Fd Regt RA(TA) 1959-60 I asked about this badge which I had seen in a WW2 veteran's small collection. He said it was worn pre-War (1930s). But Surrey Yeomen were keen on the red backing - this is the beret badge I was issued and wore in 1959/60 (news of the late King's death was slow getting to Surrey).
Attachment 97328
I think it looks nicer with the red felt. Were you based in King's Avenue, Clapham?
Old 16-08-17, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I think it looks nicer with the red felt. Were you based in King's Avenue, Clapham?
No - R Bty in Redhill, Surrey, colocated with a Coy (-) of RASC Commer 3 tonners. Mike
Old 17-08-17, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

I have been of the opinion that the enamel badge was a Yeomanry badge for the Blues hat or coloured side cap for No1 Dress. This would have been provided ay unit expense and as such would not have had a CCN.

My reasoning is that it is too fine a quality for battledress but would be just right for ceremonial dress.

Alan