British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-15, 03:16 PM

There was a regular unit called the Monmouthshire Regiment but they were amalgamated in the late 1800's to form the Ox and Bucks LI. That's probably where your confusion comes from.
Old 03-01-15, 05:03 PM

That was the 43rd Foot Monmouthshire. Technically Light Infantry.
Old 03-01-15, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
That was the 43rd Foot Monmouthshire
Yes mate but they weren't raised as LI. They were simply raised as the 43rd of Foot. Light Infantry didn't really appear until during the American War of Independence when some units were converted to that style with dark green uniforms (eventually) in order to deal more effectively with Colonial Irregulars. Combine that change with the advent of the muzzle loaded rifle (same period) and you've got the start of the light companies and regiments of the British army.

The 43rd was redesignated Light Infantry in the 1840's and they weren't the only unit to see this change.
Old 03-01-15, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Hi guys

I don't have access to my books, and google is not on my side this evening. I was hoping someone could tell me how many Welsh regiments were represented in the Line Infantry in WW1? And also their respective seniority (precedence?)

Off the top of my head I can think of SWB, ROYAL BERKSHIRE, THE WELSH, WELSH FUSILIERS, LEINSTER. Who am I missing?

Thanks

Colin
Who (what) am I missing? A map of Wales.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.