British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-16, 12:54 PM

Default Verdun: 1916-2016

I often think that the UK has cornered the market in crass insensitivity, but this would indicate that we are not alone. I'm pleased that the French media picked it up. Mike
Verdun_Boulevard Voltaire May 16.jpg
Old 28-05-16, 01:40 PM

If he knew his history, he would know that the French poeple will not play games with traitors in their country.

France paid a very heavy price in casualties sustained during WW1.

Military Deaths:1,397.800
Military Wounded:4,266,000

Verdun was the longest ever Battle during the whole of WW1 and lasted from 1914-1918

I was told that 750,000 men died there, many more injured. This was the main reason why the British had to start their campaign on the Somme in 1916 when they did, as the French were running out of time & men.

Some people think they are clever, ..... but when the guns start to roar in France, where will the "French"-Guinean be standing ? Maybe on the end of a rope, .... with luck.
(Sing up Black-M) We can't hear you at the back of the crowd

I will stand shoulder to shoulder with my French allies.

FBK
Old 28-05-16, 03:44 PM

Default Black M

I believe "tete de noeud" is the French for "knobhead".
Old 28-05-16, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I believe "tete de noeud" is the French for "knobhead".
One learns something new every day on the Forum! Mike
Old 28-05-16, 07:11 PM

I went to Verdun for the first time last month and whilst having become used to some of the preserved battlefields and cemeteries on the British and Commonwealth sector I was truly stunned by the devastation still evident in the vicinity of the forts, and the size of the French ossuary and main Verdun cemetery. Only part of one half is shown in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 28-05-16, 09:34 PM

A period commemorative plate made in April 1916 in France, when Petain was still a French hero.

Strange the things you find in west wales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Verdun plate obverse.jpg (92.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Verdun plate reverse.jpg (41.3 KB, 15 views)

Jerry
Old 29-05-16, 11:27 AM

French stamps commemorating Verdun, throughout the years. Unfortunately, I haven't got the 2016 issue to post alongside.
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Verdunstamps.jpg (29.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 29-05-16, 02:48 PM

Actually, an official Franco-German commemoration of the battle should be held today, while the stamp in question is due to be issued tomorrow.
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1605180910250.jpg (89.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 30-05-16, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I often think that the UK has cornered the market in crass insensitivity, but this would indicate that we are not alone. I'm pleased that the French media picked it up. Mike
Attachment 149958
Hell'O

Regardless of the controversial personality of Mr Black M / Alpha Diallo, the real question would be :

> To commemorate the death of 300,000 people, is it really relevant to organize a festive event of any kind whatsoever ???

open question ..........
Old 30-05-16, 04:50 PM

Hi
I don't really think that this commemoration is meant to be treated as a 'festive event'. On the contrary, I look at it as a memorial service, a tribute to the death of a generation and meant to portray the futility of killing each other for an ideal. Verdun was just one in the list of charnel houses that comprised the Western Front. We look upon WW1 with different eyes - we have the benefit of belonging to a generation that wasn't conditioned by national hysterical patriotism. Thanks no doubt to the lamentations that came later, when each country counted its dead.
GTB
Old 30-05-16, 05:49 PM

"conditioned by national hysterical patriotism"?
Old 31-05-16, 11:24 AM

Clarifying the quoted phrase with a few lines in this post won't do justice. There is a plethora of written material on the subject.

Basically, the nations' young manhood was gripped by a wild enthusiasm to enlist and participate in this war. One only needs to take a look at photos of the throngs in the capital cities of the belligerents and read the reports in the papers when general mobilisation was declared. Hindsight shows that much frenzy, jubilation, xenophobia, patriotism, etc was whipped up as propaganda, but at the time this was all enthusiastically welcomed. From what I have read the period surrounding the outbreak of war wasn't a subdued experience, but a wild eagerness of the nation's youth to enlist. Disillusionment came later, as did the loss of innocence by those who believed that this would be a typical, short adventurous war.

GTB
Old 17-09-16, 04:03 PM

And here is the philatelic souvenir of the Battle of Verdun together with its accompanying engraved stamp sheet, respectively showing the memorial and a devastated battlefield.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Verdunstamps_0001.jpg (67.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Verdunstamps_0002.jpg (71.4 KB, 13 views)