British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-05-16, 05:41 PM

Default Apprentice Pipers Plaid badge

Up for members info. An Army Apprentices School pipers plaid badge. I got this a few weeks ago at less that the price paid for one at the last Bosley's auction, I believe £80 - £85, but it was in pristine condition whereas mine does have some marks on it, but I can live with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1947.jpg (88.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1948.jpg (104.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 30-05-16, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Up for members info. An Army Apprentices School pipers plaid badge. I got this a few weeks ago at less that the price paid for one at the last Bosley's auction, I believe £80 - £85, but it was in pristine condition whereas mine does have some marks on it, but I can live with that.
Thanks for showing that. I have a large silvered badge like that with screw posts which I've never bothered trying to id. Looking at that brooch I think maybe it's off one of those. I'll have to dig it out and post photos sometime.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 30-05-16, 07:13 AM

Would you be able to retake photo without your reflection if possible??

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 30-05-16, 08:58 AM

Default AAS Pipe Majors & Pipers brooch

Army Apprentices College Pipe Bands

28.04.61. At the 137th Meeting of the War Office Dress Committee the Representative from ES4 highlighted that these bands (Arborfield, Chepstow, Harrogate & Carlisle) were not recognised as part of the School Establishment. However, it was noted that the WO had already paid for their instruments! The Secretary pointed out that all the articles of Dress requested were standard pattern items except for the shoulder brooch which was to be a new pattern. Contrary to policy, the centre of the badge was to be gilding metal, in place of anodised metal, on a plated background. This was upon advice of manufacturers who thought that polishing the background would damage the anodic film of the anodised centre.

The Committee decided (Decision 1155) to approve a shoulder brooch for Pipe Majors and Pipers as follows: The AAS headdress badge within a plain circular scroll (New design 0.1898).

Stephen.
Old 30-05-16, 09:04 AM

Default AAS Pipe Majors & Pipers scarf brooch

30.06.67. At the 180th Meeting of the WODC it was decided (Decision 1791) to approve the finished sample of the scarf brooch (to sketch design 0.2380) for Pipe majors and Pipers of the Pipe Band of the AAS. The new item (Cat NO CB 8398) was to be introduced on a maintenance basis.

Stephen.
Old 30-05-16, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Would you be able to retake photo without your reflection if possible??
Jerry. Can't get rid of my reflection using a camera (and I don't know how to do it), but I have taken a scan. Still not perfect, but better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAS Pipers.jpg (42.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 31-05-16, 02:34 PM

Damm, just seen this. Another one to add to my "Wants List". Don't s'pose...

Ian H
Old 02-06-16, 10:53 AM

Hi All
Here is the Apprentice Badge I mentioned before. It appears to be silver plated. could it have something to do with the pipe-band as well?
Thanks in advance. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0410.jpg (79.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0411.jpg (68.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-06-16, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Here is the Apprentice Badge I mentioned before. It appears to be silver plated. could it have something to do with the pipe-band as well?
Alex. Yes I have the same badge, but I still have to verify the what/who/where/when questions. A contact of mine indicates that these badges were made 'at the school', but which school and exactly for what purpose he is unsure, but it has to be assumed it would be for band, pipe band or corps of drums. This being the case and being an 'unofficial' item, and not an issue item, it presumably would have been restricted to the manufacturing school only. I cannot remember having seen it being worn at Arborfield between 1962 and the end of 1964, but then time does mist the memory! Also, if what I've said is correct, then these badges would be pretty scarce to say the least, yet they are not hard to find and regularly come up for sale on eBay, so authenticity is an issue. Any further info from anyone would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-16, 05:54 PM

I have the larger badge and was told it is a cross belt badge??? Also thanks John for the scan of the pipers badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56 AAS CROSS BELT wm#.jpg (55.6 KB, 5 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 02-06-16, 08:25 PM

Yes Jerry, I was told it was for the cross belt pouch (at rear)

Wanted Poppy Pins