British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-05-16, 01:50 PM

Default 16th Battalion, (Canadian-Scottish)

Hi

I was reading an article which mentioned that a number of Norwegians volunteered and enlisted in The 16th Battalion (Canadian-Scottish), CEF
I was wondering if there exists any battalion records that might name the soldiers of this battalion, amongst them these volunteers?

Thanks

Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1624_b_1.jpg (47.0 KB, 34 views)

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 29-05-16, 02:08 PM

Colin
The battalion history has a complete list of officers and enlisted men.

Mike
Old 29-05-16, 02:15 PM

Thanks Mike. I'll have a look for that.

Also, I gather the battalion was composed of recruits from the 91st Canadian Highlanders (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders), the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, and the 50th Regiment (Gordon Highlanders) Thanks Wikipedia!

Would they have retained their respective cap badges? And what would fresh volunteers wear? The generic CEF?

Thanks

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 29-05-16, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Thanks Mike. I'll have a look for that.

Also, I gather the battalion was composed of recruits from the 91st Canadian Highlanders (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders), the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, and the 50th Regiment (Gordon Highlanders) Thanks Wikipedia!

Would they have retained their respective cap badges? And what would fresh volunteers wear? The generic CEF?

Thanks
This might help a bit ....about the initial forming of the battalion.
http://cefresearch.ca/matrix/Army%20...0Battalion.htm

The 16th Battalion (The Canadian Scottish) was formed from four companies of unrelated Highland regiments. On the sea voyage to England, the Regiment was still dressed in four different styles, tartans, and badges.

I presume that when the battalion was in England, to increase the "Esprit de Corps"of the unit it was decided to wear one tartan and to design a specific cap badge,to be worn instead of four different ones.....
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 29-05-16 at 02:58 PM.
Old 29-05-16, 03:31 PM

Thanks Jo

And thanks for link - some very interesting reading there!

Cheers

Colin

Old 30-05-16, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
... and to design a specific cap badge,to be worn instead of four different ones.....
Jo
And here is that badge as shown here on the forums: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...ce/cef_e16.htm

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 30-05-16, 02:28 PM

Colin,

In addition, if you can't get your hands on a copy of the unit history, Canadian historical author, Mark Zuehlke has written a book detailing the 16th Battalion from start to finish. It's called [I]Brave Battalion.[I] Published in 2008 by John Wiley & Sons. Available on Amazon, starting at about $36 used.

Don't know if it will answer any of your questions, but it's a good read. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 30-05-16, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Colin,

In addition, if you can't get your hands on a copy of the unit history, Canadian historical author, Mark Zuehlke has written a book detailing the 16th Battalion from start to finish. It's called [I]Brave Battalion.[I] Published in 2008 by John Wiley & Sons. Available on Amazon, starting at about $36 used.

Don't know if it will answer any of your questions, but it's a good read. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

I have several copies of Brave Battalion available for sale.
CDN 15.00 each plus postage.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 31-05-16, 07:42 PM

Even better!!
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"