British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-15, 10:11 PM

Default Very impresive military song

I was watching the movie, "We Were Soldiers" last night (not for the first time) and as well as enjoying it I was very moved by the song "Sgt McKenzie" which features throughout it. So I looked up the words and was again moved by the fact that it is a WW1 song in memory of Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie
Seaforth Highlanders

It's sometimes the little things which get you isn't it? I can't listen to the Infantry Last Post without feeling very sad indeed.
Old 24-01-15, 11:38 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I am so glad you provided the English translation! For me I find 'sunset' played on bugles always brings a lump to my throat.
Old 25-01-15, 01:21 AM

With the change in warfare over the centuries, the importance of the regimental standard and music has been phased out. Soldiers once followed their regimental standard into battle and were highly motivated by music.

Does anyone know when the bagpipes were last played in battle?

Sgt. MacKenzie

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._MacKenzie

History

Joseph MacKenzie wrote the haunting lament after the death of his wife, Christine, and in memory of his great-grandfather, Charles Stuart MacKenzie, a sergeant in the Seaforth Highlanders, who along with hundreds of his brothers-in-arms from the Elgin-Rothes area in Moray, Scotland went to fight in World War I. Sergeant MacKenzie was bayoneted to death at the age of 35, while defending one of his badly injured fellow soldiers in the hand-to-hand fighting of the trenches.

The track was then included in his band Clann An Drumma's album Tried and True. While working on the film We Were Soldiers, director Randall Wallace, received a CD of the album and was haunted by the emotion and spirit of reverence captured in "Sgt. MacKenzie". He arranged for Joe and band mate Donnie MacNeil, who played the pipes, to re-record "Sgt. MacKenzie" with the backing of an 80-piece orchestra and the United States Military Academy Choir at the famous Abbey Road Studios in London. The lament was introduced into the film during key scenes with MacKenzie singing on his own and on the last track of the film with the orchestra and choir.

The original pipe score was written and played by Seoras Wallace not Donnie MacNeil when Joe MacKenzie read his poem to him and Tubar Wilson in a house in Govan many years ago. The original recording is on the ClanWallace live album and it was this recording that inspired Randall Wallace and Mel Gibson to contact Seoras about using the track on the film "We Were Soldiers". Seoras waived his rights but remains the holder of the production rights returned to him three years after the film's release.[citation needed]

Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie

Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie went to fight in France during World War I and was shot in the shoulder. The military sent him home to Scotland for treatment, where the surgeon wanted to amputate his arm. Sgt. MacKenzie refused, stating that he had to go back to his men. While recuperating in the hospital, he was asked what it was like to kill "the Hun" (as the Germans were called then). He replied, "what a waste of a fine body of men". His last picture, with him in uniform, was taken on the steps of the hospital. This picture hung in his home above the fireplace. Upon his return to the front, he and his men were engaged in fixed bayonet combat. The composer says,

“ To the best of my knowledge, and taken from reports of the returning soldiers, one of his close friends fell, badly wounded. Charles stood his ground and fought until he was overcome and died from bayonet wounds. On that day, my great grandmother and my grandmother were sitting at the fire when the picture fell from the wall. My great grandmother looked, and said to my grandmother "Oh, my bonnie Charlie's dead". Sure enough a few days passed, and the local policeman brought the news - that Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie had been killed in action. This same picture now hangs above my fireplace. A few years back my wife Christine died of cancer, and in my grief I looked at his picture to ask what gave him the strength to go on. It was then, in my mind, that I saw him lying on the field and wondered what his final thoughts were. The words and music just appeared into my head. I believe the men and woman like yourself who are prepared to stand their ground for their family - for their friends - and for their country; deserve to be remembered, respected and honoured. "Sgt. MacKenzie", is my very small tribute to them. After "Sgt. MacKenzie" was first released on our Tried and True CD album in 2000, a copy of the song made its way to the hands of Hollywood director, Randall Wallace and actor Mel Gibson. Immediately they both agreed that "Sgt. MacKenzie" should feature prominently in their upcoming movie We Were Soldiers. The rest, as they say - is history! ”

— Joseph Kilna MacKenzie
In later works

Child actor Atticus Shaffer was interested in the story of actual soldier so dressed up as him on Halloween.[2] This was incorporated into his "The Middle" character Brick who did the same. It was also played during a scene in the 2012 film End of Watch starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña."
Old 25-01-15, 06:00 PM

A final use of the pipes in combat was in 1967 during the Aden Emergency, when 1st Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were led into the rebel-held Crater district by their pipe major playing the regimental marches.