British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-10, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
Here's some better resolution versions:

IWM: TR2013

IWM: TR2012

Clearer version of 2nd pic:
How can they be seen?
Old 23-12-10, 07:43 PM

Should be visible if logged in? If not try going to my gallery
Old 23-12-10, 08:36 PM

The regimental tac sign with the X would denote the battery commander of the second battery in the regiment I believe.
Old 31-07-13, 10:33 AM

Default Northumberland Hussars

A veteran of the above regiment has given me some pictures of his time in the Northumberland Hussars, a couple in Germany in WWII and the rest in Palestine 1946-47. I asked him about any badges that they wore and his reply was, Northumberland Hussars cap badge, NH brass shoulder title and 15th Scottish div sign while in Germany, In Palestine they wore the R.A. Grenade on beret and whilst in working rig no other signs. The tac. number on vehicles was 44. written on the back of the last pair of pics. is Germany 1945 M10 17 lb gun Northumberland Hussars. I have a few more pictures if interested, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0007.jpg (22.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0006.jpg (25.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Ray Wheeler 1.jpg (38.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Ray Wheeler 2.jpg (25.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0003.jpg (26.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-08-13, 03:26 PM

Just a little aside to this great thread. In the book Geordie Hussar by Hugh Patterson there is a picture of his insignia. NH cap badge, Pair of RA grenades, NH black on Khaki Cloth epaulette titles and RA red on Blue shoulder titles.
Old 24-01-15, 11:42 PM

Hi there

I realise this is quite an old thread but have just come into possession of my Grandfather's WW2 uniforms and I thought I would post some pictures. He was in the intelligence corps of the Northumberland Hussars Royal Artillery (not sure exactly which bit) and I am informed that the corps wasn't around for long, so these uniforms are less than common.

If anybody can supply any information about the rank insignia or ribbons that would be great.

Slainte

midders

P.S. Previewing this post the images show as broken links, but if you right-click and open link (in a new tab) you can view them.

Old 16-11-20, 04:15 PM

Default 102nd (Northumberland Hussars) Anti Tank Reg formation sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
I’m trying to assemble a collection of insignia to represent my wife's Grandad's unit the Northumberland Hussars (102nd Anti-tank) in WW2 1942 - 1945.

I'm a bit puzzled as to how the NHs would have badged their uniforms as although they were part of the Royal Artillery, they had special dispensation to retain their cap badges and I believe they also had their own Regimental flash (2 shades of blue) as opposed to the Royal Artillery one.

They were attached to several divisions during the war, so assumedly wore the formation badges (or 8th Army patches) as appropriate:

UK 1940-1 - 2nd Armoured Division
Greece 1941 - 1st Armoured Brigade
N Africa 1941-2 - 7th Armoured Division
N Africa 1942-3 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
El Alamein 10/42 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
Sicily 1943 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
UK 1943-4 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
D Day 1944 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
NW Europe 1944 - 50th (Northumbrian Infantry Division
NW Europe 1944-5 - 15th (Scottish) Division

The only period photo I’ve seen is of a gunner in Nijmegen with the ‘double T’ formation badge for the 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division, which underneath it looks like he has BOTH the regimental flash for the NH (2 shades of blue) and the regimental flash for the Royal Artillery (Red & Blue). He’s also wearing the ‘NH’ metal shoulder titles.

This image is posted on another forum here:

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/searchi...34883-a-5.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

Paul
My Uncle was an M10 Driver in Normandy off Gold Beach - Arromanches we understand. it all gets a little confusing because we read that he was with the 102nd but he did service in Africa and Italy and then D Day. but what we are trying to find is which formation sign would he be wearing in France. Off photo we can only (black & white) make out a dark square then white with something? in the middle it is very difficult to determine. As for the m10 what signage would have been on the tank? the only phot we have give no clear view on ly the rear where the lads are having a break by the looks of it, behind bocage high above them.

Can you help with advise in any way?

Ian