British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-13, 06:14 PM

Default Opinions sought

Hello,

I don't know if anyone's considering bidding on this (I'm not, out of my price range I'm afraid), but I'd welcome any thoughts about the authenticity of the battledress in its present form.

All battledresses from Korea are so rare they're practically never seen. In my 5-ish years collecting Korea, I've only ever seen one other which was Catering Corps.

Anyway, something about it doesn't look right to me (should those two formation patches be worn together by the way?) and I'd welcome everyone's comments.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-ULST...item3cd8bccb27

Thanks!

BP
Old 27-11-13, 06:37 PM

Hi

I didnt think that korean war stuff was really collected?tommy t bag
Old 27-11-13, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy t bag View Post
Hi

I didnt think that korean war stuff was really collected?tommy t bag
Hi Tommy,

There are certain regiments like the Glosters, Duke of Wellingtons, Northumberland Fusiliers and the RUR that are very collectible for their involvement in Korea. Korea medals to the Glosters are particularly expensive.

Militaria connected to these regiments dated early fifties will command a premium.

Jack
Old 28-11-13, 12:22 PM

It's not that there's much demand, there's just so little stuff available! As Jack says, while militaria from the 50s is plentiful (and cheap), stuff belonging to certain units involved is a different story. I heard that they burned their kit before embarking for England because of a fear of tropical diseases...

Any comments about the battledress?
Old 28-11-13, 12:40 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigade Piron View Post
It's not that there's much demand, there's just so little stuff available! As Jack says, while militaria from the 50s is plentiful (and cheap), stuff belonging to certain units involved is a different story. I heard that they burned their kit before embarking for England because of a fear of tropical diseases...

Any comments about the battledress?
For what its worth,
From memory - I haven't been up there recently - there are a couple up at the Museum and they didn't look as pristine (relatively speaking) as the one you have shown. The badges on that BD don't look as worn as I would have expected. I am certainly no expert on post war BD's. I do have a couple of well worn BD's - one to the GPR and one to the Para's - and after having another look at them both this morning, they look it. All of the badges on mine are "well" faded... I would have expected one (especially to the Rifles) to have been "through the mill more".
David