British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-11-09, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Prince Rupert Regt...

A nice hallmarked Prince Rupert on auction.
Dear Santa, For Christmas this year....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prince-Rupert-Re...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 18-11-09, 01:41 PM

I saw that one too. Nice.

I am still baffled by those ebayers that take the time to send sellers information about the items being auctioned. These people obviously have no intention of bidding on the item. I thought it was just a problem in the medal collecting world but am dismayed to see it happens with badge auctions as well.

Who are these idiots!?
Old 18-11-09, 03:05 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Who is the maker on that badge? I couldn't make it out or at least not familiar with the name,Don't know who made mine.
Old 18-11-09, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Birks. They are the accepted maker. There is some controversy over the badges marked with an R.
Old 19-11-09, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
I saw that one too. Nice.

I am still baffled by those ebayers that take the time to send sellers information about the items being auctioned. These people obviously have no intention of bidding on the item. I thought it was just a problem in the medal collecting world but am dismayed to see it happens with badge auctions as well.

Who are these idiots!?
In this case (and, no, it wasn't me), the seller had asked in his description for info/clarification on the badge, so I think it was probably a fair, albeit not terribly clarifying FYI that was sent in.
Old 19-11-09, 12:17 PM

My point is more that, if a seller, to whom you have no connection, can't be arsed to do a little research to find out what they are selling BEFORE listing it, why would you go out of your way to provide information that will help market the badge, increase their profit, and disadvantage fellow collectors who may have had a chance at a bit of a bargain.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

If someone posted a badge on this, or another forum asking for help, and I knew something about it, I would gladly offer this information. Would I email a dealer who has something on his list described incorrectly to help make sure they knew that it was a $500 scarce variant and not a bog standard $15 badge? I don't think so.

It happens a lot on ebay with medals, people can't be bothered to do a little fact-finding, but list their item anyhow, no problem, their perogative. Then some "helpful" ebayer emails them with an explanation of the item's significance, and information like CWGC details etc etc.

Invariably these people have no interest in buying the item, so, in my view, are really helping someone with no interest in our hobby, and taking away a nice find from his collecting brothers. It's a strange mentality and I fail to understand their motivation.

Last edited by Adam H; 19-11-09 at 12:24 PM.
Old 19-11-09, 01:15 PM

Perhaps providing some information is a way of helping to "jack up" the final selling price. If you already have the badge or medal, you want to see the item hold if not increase it's market value, thus helping to maintain the value of your own collection.
In the case of this particular Prince Rupert Regiment badge, it is missing the lugs. Hardly an example to set the price.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 24-11-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 19-11-09, 05:55 PM

I agree that it is nice to find a bargain here and there, but lets face it, eBay is rarely the place for that. I too, have discovered ill descibed items that I dream of winning at a good price, but all to often someone offers up information to the seller about the item. Frustrating yes, however, what can you do? I think some of the vendors honestly haven't any idea as to what they have or where to begin to find info about it.

When you chance upon a treasure at a gun show in a junk box, it just makes victory that much sweeter.

Cheers,

Geoff