British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-18, 10:25 AM

Default 17th/21st Lancers

An example of the much loved Death or Glory Boys (I dare say "Girls" too, these days) any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030339.jpg (55.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1030338.jpg (54.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 15-04-18, 04:22 PM
LYPAO Boff

Hi Frank

Yes, I have that on a pattern card dated 1966. There are a handful of strikes from S&WLtd..... I think I have six so far showing different back images.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 16-04-18, 06:56 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
An example of the much loved Death or Glory Boys (I dare say "Girls" too, these days) any thoughts?
Hi Frank

Sorry there are no Girls who wear the Motto, all Girls who soldier with the Motto are attached Corps, not Rank and File. Sorry to disappoint you.

Regards

Phil.
Old 16-04-18, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Lots of girls wear the new QRL motto when they are in the cadets and as of last year women are serving in, and badged to, the RAC regts. The first female Tank Commander was commissioned last year and was on her Troop leaders' course at Bovington.
Old 16-04-18, 12:59 PM

Well, there were certainly no Girls in the 17th/21st, but, if the regiment still existed today and if the same continued to be referred to by the old nickname of the 17th, then, doubtless some people would suggest that name would need to be amended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hi Frank

Sorry there are no Girls who wear the Motto, all Girls who soldier with the Motto are attached Corps, not Rank and File. Sorry to disappoint you.

Regards

Phil.
Old 16-04-18, 02:19 PM

Plenty of girls wore the 17th/21st Motto as members of both Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire Army Cadet Force as part of the “regimental family”- all were equally as proud to wear the motto as were the boys who wore it!
PL
Old 16-04-18, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Well, there were certainly no Girls in the 17th/21st, but, if the regiment still existed today and if the same continued to be referred to by the old nickname of the 17th, then, doubtless some people would suggest that name would need to be amended.
The Royal Lancers (and before them the QRL and 17th/21st Lancers) - consider all who wear the Motto (whether regular or cadet forces - male or female) to be part of the regimental family - to do otherwise is disrespectful. I am proud to wear the Motto, I don’t suppose you’ve ever had the privilege so wouldn’t expect you to understand .
PL
Old 16-04-18, 07:23 PM

Hello Griff,
Many thanks, as many as six is certainly a surprise.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Hi Frank

Yes, I have that on a pattern card dated 1966. There are a handful of strikes from S&WLtd..... I think I have six so far showing different back images.
Old 17-04-18, 10:53 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
The Royal Lancers (and before them the QRL and 17th/21st Lancers) - consider all who wear the Motto (whether regular or cadet forces - male or female) to be part of the regimental family - to do otherwise is disrespectful. I am proud to wear the Motto, I don’t suppose you’ve ever had the privilege so wouldn’t expect you to understand .
PL
G'day oc

Ive not worn the Motto either, but am as dammed proud of it as anyone who has. And with good reason.

Regards

Phil
Down Under.

PS, any of the subdued Mottoes left ?
Old 18-04-18, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Hello Griff,
Many thanks, as many as six is certainly a surprise.
Regards Frank
Hi Frank,

Six was usually the minimum number of Standard Patterns produced. Sometimes as many as 14 were made. For the Master Pattern the usual number was just two though.

Regards,

Chris
Old 18-04-18, 07:14 AM

Hello Chris,
That is even more of a surprise, do they just have very slight differences, or, do you find more radical designs that are completely different?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Frank,

Six was usually the minimum number of Standard Patterns produced. Sometimes as many as 14 were made. For the Master Pattern the usual number was just two though.

Regards,

Chris
Old 18-04-18, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Hello Chris,
That is even more of a surprise, do they just have very slight differences, or, do you find more radical designs that are completely different?
Regards Frank
Hi Frank,

The pattern cards are made from the badges supplied as samples to the War Office/Army Dress Committee post regimental Colonel initial design, portrait (signed by Soverign) etc. etc, etc. If the ADC approved them they were used on the Standard/Master Pattern cards/tags.

Those left over were usually dumped in the bin.

Pattern cards/tags are only a guide for badge makers to follow nothing else hence so many genuine variations of the same badge.

Regards,

Chris